The Crew May Get an Official 60 FPS Option on PC

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Shawn Hopkins, Oct 17, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ubisoft’s The Crew may get an official 60 FPS option after all.

Console gamers have gotten used to current generation games being limited to 30 FPS, but PC gamers with beastly rigs have found that hard to swallow. When a Ubisoft employee confirmed that 60 FPS was not officially supported during The Crew’s PC beta and could only be unlocked by tinkering with files and risking performance problems, it was not met with rejoicing.

According to an article in Tech Radar, however, Ubisoft now tentatively says it plans to implement an official 60 FPS option in the final game.

According to lead designer Serkan Hassan, that’s the goal.

“Ultimately the performance and the frame rate will be down to the players hardware,” he said. “A few people in the closed beta found ways of unlocking the frame rate. My understanding at this moment is that we’ll be allowing players to do that come the full version as well, unless some other issue comes to light which would block that in any way.”

The Crew is coming to PC, PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360 Dec. 2. There’s a console beta for Xbox One and PS4 this November that you can sign up for here.

The post The Crew May Get an Official 60 FPS Option on PC appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

2. troutski

troutski Active Member

I heard about this, and I don't have a preference either way. As long as the game runs smoothly and looks good, then I could deal with 30 fps on a PC game. 60 fps looks good, for sure, but it's not going to make or break my experience.

3. Larrel94

Larrel94 Member

Good news. Those console plebs may be used to the eye-fuck known as 30FPS, but #PCMASTERRACE will have none of that nonsense.

4. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

It's not Ubisoft's fault man. They have been pressurized into locking this game up by Sony and Microsoft. Kudos to them is the decided to unlock the FPS.

5. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

Where have you heard of this, any source? I would be baffled if this is actually the case but I can't really believe it. The only reason for Sony and Microsoft to actually ask for locking it at 30 FPS is because their consoles simply can't handle 60 FPS, which is quite understandable. Trying to opt for 60FPS with the current hardware might lead to lots of framedrops and an overall worse experience.

6. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

No reason not to give official 60 fps options, a lot of new PCs can handle it easily, and HD monitors have become really cheap. If there really is some conspiracy involving Sony and Microsoft, it just gives more reasons for consumers to shift towards PC gaming.

7. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

May? That should already be in the finished game a long time ago. We're in 2014, all games should be running in 60 fps...

8. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

More 30fps games coming your way mate. These consoles can't handle a game like AS or The Crew at 60 fps.

9. SonicSlayer

SonicSlayer Member

Nice on them! As a (mainly) PC gamer I appreciate this SO much. Games, especially racing games, are really much better to play at higher frame rates. When you have sufficient hardware, and the devs lock the game to 30 FPS, it's really frustrating and annoying, so props to Ubisoft for doing this.

10. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

...on the PC. It's hilarious that next gen consoles are still using 30 fps as a standard, and consequently PC games are being dragged down as well.

11. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

It's not hilarious that the console run 30 fps IMO. Consoles are made for people who don't want to put much work into settings and just want a plug and play experience. The current consoles offer that while still being affordable for most people. I'm not that much into consoles because I DO mess arround with my settings but I can understand why many people wouldn't. The hardware in consoles is not good enough to support 60FPS so offering it would probably not lead to a stable 60fps game but a game that will occasionally have frame-drops, I'd rather have a stable 30fps game then

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they even thought of not giving it as an option. Surely anyone who has the hardware capacity for it would want it, and they must know that by now. Anyway, I'm glad they were smart enough to at least realize it before it was too late. I'm hoping this game succeeds.

13. shreklock

shreklock Member

I wouldn't have played the game if it was on 30 FPS. It's just terrible. Once you try 60 FPS, or even more, you can never go back.

14. crazyman1090

crazyman1090 Member

Please, please, please. WE NEED 60 FPS, PERIOD. First of all, there is absolutely no reason there should be a limit on the FPS. What is the point? It just lowers hype and general excitement for the game. It makes no sense to have a racing game (where FPS is especially important), or any modern game nowadays, to limit FPS to 30.

15. Qarnage

Qarnage Member

Perhaps it requires some extra coding? I have no idea honestly but yeah if it doesn't require any additional work then I'd be surprised too if they thought about not including it. I'm pretty sure there will be someone to unlock on the internet if it wasn't included in the game so they might aswell add it themselves.

16. GenevB

GenevB Member

Well, this sounds great. Even if I'm part of the people who doesn't care in how much fps it runs as long as the game shall run smoothly, I'm happy that there won't be any more unhappy voices to comment.

17. Larrel94

Larrel94 Member

Finally. Not like it's that hard to add. And making a racing game in this day and age without 60FPS is just laughable. Glad they came to their senses.

18. xlSynergy

xlSynergy Member

I hope so. 30FPS looks so bad, can't believe I dealt with it on console for so long!

19. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. They might be only second guessing themselves due to the extra work, and I don't know anything about it as well but I really doubt it's that much extra work. Hopefully someone who knows more about game development can chime in.

20. RadialPerson

RadialPerson Member

They had no choice, how many PC gamers would ever buy The Crew if it could only run at 30FPS. It's literally unplayable, at least for me I need at least 45 to 50FPS or it's just too jittery. Not to mention there's no reason for them to lock the game, a good PC can easily play any console game at 60FPS without a problem.