Sony President Says Wipeout Could Return Someday

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Peter Paltridge, Oct 1, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

Wipeout was a fast-paced, futuristic racing game Sony published on the original Playstation. There were several sequels afterward, all made by Liverpool Studio, an English branch of Sony’s wider game-developing business.

In 2012, citing “an increasingly competitive marketplace,” Sony shut down Liverpool Studio for good. “Liverpool Studio has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios since the outset of PlayStation, and have contributed greatly to PlayStation over the years. Everyone connected with Liverpool Studio, past and present, can be very proud of their achievements. However, it was felt that by focusing our investment plans on other Studios that are currently working on exciting new projects, we would be in a stronger position to offer the best possible content for our consumers.”

The question was, where did that leave Wipeout? Would it be tossed aside like the rest of the once-thriving game franchises that weren’t deemed important enough in this cuttthroat AAA business? Recently Sony’s president, Shuhei Yoshida, spoke at a Q&A session during EGX in London. He was asked about the possibility of Wipeout ever coming back, and replied that it was fully possible.

“There are many IPs that we kind of stopped iterating with new games,” he told the press. “One of the reasons is we always love to work on new IP. From my standpoint I try to balance the number of games in a franchise. In the future there might be a chance to come back to a game like Wipeout.”

So there it is. Not likely in the immediate future, but not impossible in the distant future either. Wipeout will be back someday, just not tomorrow.

The post Sony President Says Wipeout Could Return Someday appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I played it briefly but never gave it too much thought, now that I think about it it is a pretty nifty game and I would love to see it return someday. It was quite unique.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've never played this but I always see the title being mentioned whenever the topic of good but obscure racing games is brought up. I'm sure it will sell well enough it is ever revived and I'm surely going to test it out for myself just to see what the fuss is about.

4. Susime

Susime Active Member

I loved Wipeout 1 & 2 on the original Playstation and would love to see it return some day.

However if they did make another one I can only see Liverpool studio producing it. Anyone else doing it could lead to a huge let-down I think...

5. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Well, at least there's a chance to get Wipeout in the future. I've only played the Vita version of the game, but I loved it.

6. Susime

Susime Active Member

You should have a go at the originals in the series. Yeah they came out on the original Playstation so they won't look that pretty, but damn are they fun to play and the soundtracks are seriously nice.

7. BluBird

BluBird Member

I'd LOVE to see a new Wipeout on the PS4. We haven't been getting enough futuristic racers lately. While your at it, bring back San Francisco 2049. Oh, and why the hell hasn't there been a new F Zero for my Wii U?

8. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I might give them a shot, I really don't mind outdated graphics as long as it's fun. I'll check PSN when I get home and see if they have them available there.

9. Susime

Susime Active Member

You won't be disappointed if you do play them. They are some great games for the years they came out. Also check out the product placement for RedBull in Wipeout 2097, it's like a vision of the future almost...

10. Solar

Solar Member

The Wipeout franchise is specialy, probably the only one I can think of that competes with F-Zero. It's too bad F-Zero is also dead now, basically. It really sucks, these insanely fast paced are incredibly fun. Hopefully they both make a comeback soon.

11. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Oh god, F-Zero was an amazing series. My favorite was F-Zero X. GX was good, but it always felt a little bit off for some reason. It also didn't have the great guitar riffs of X. I would love it if the franchise made a comeback.

12. Susime

Susime Active Member

Did the F-Zero series come out after Wipeout did?

I seem to remember an F-Zero game being released for the N64 but I could be totally wrong on that one.

13. spectre456

spectre456 Member

The first F-Zero came out in 1991 for the Snes, so it probably came before Wipeout.
    F-Zero X released for the N64 and F-Zero GX for the Gamecube. They're all fantastic games and I recommend playing them if you ever get the chance.

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I just saw some clips of Fzero and it occurred to me I was confusing it with wipeout all this time since I've always heard about both but never paid much attention.

15. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Haha, that makes sense, they're easily confused if you don't know anything about either of them. Don't let that fool you though, they're both different in their own way and are worth a shot if futuristic racers interest you.

16. Susime

Susime Active Member

So that's what my memories were haha! I think around the time I had an N64 I did look at the games but for some reason they never really appealed to me. I've always sort of preferred the Wipeout series.

I will give them a look in more detail though :)

17. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Yeah, I can understand you preferring Wipeout. I personally like F-Zero more, but then again, I've only played a handheld version of Wipeout.

18. Susime

Susime Active Member

I think it's change for me. I mean the first game I played was Wipeout and I just know that if I play F-Zero I'll be comparing it to Wipeout all the time.

I'm pretty stubborn in my ways I think :D

19. spectre456

spectre456 Member

I get what you mean. Before I played Wipeout I was turned off by it because it looked so similar to F-Zero. I'm glad I did though, because I now have two futuristic racers to enjoy.
    Well, there's also the Star Wars pod racing game I played on N64, but I doubt that's making a comeback.

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've only been hearing of these games just recently to be honest even though I was around during the heyday of these consoles. I think they just weren't too popular in my country or in my circles. Now I'm definitely going to give both a try and hopefully I can get my hands on many of their versions.