Rocket League Sells One Million Copies

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Peter Paltridge, Aug 29, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

If you couldn’t call Rocket League a bonafide hit before, now the evidence is irrefutable. Valve and Rocket League’s developer Psyonix have announced that in just less than two months since its official release, Rocket League has sold over one million digital copies on Steam, making it one of the most successful games in recent history for the PC.

For the uninitiated, Rocket League is best described as soccer played by cars (with a giant ball). The game is also available on the PS4, and versions have just been announced for Mac and SteamOS.

Odds are more likely I’ll have to explain to you what SteamOS is than what Rocket League is. It’s the operating system for Steam’s own console, the Steam Machine, of which there is still only minimal interest. If you purchase anything relating to Steam Machine — a Steam Controller, a Steam Link, or Steam Machine itself — Valve will give you a copy of Rocket League for free.

If you add in the downloads from PS4, Rocket League has actually sold over FIVE million copies. Versions for more platforms are assuredly coming soon.

The post Rocket League Sells One Million Copies appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

2. troutski

troutski Active Member

Yeah, Rocket League came out of nowhere and found immediate success.

3. troutski

troutski Active Member

I mean, it's the definition of a hit from out of nowhere. The concept sounds stupid, yet the game is INCREDIBLY FUN.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It didn't come out of nowhere. There was a similar game before, this is just an updated one that was hype for a little bit. The game is pretty fun though, and I purchased it too. I'm having a blast playing it with my friends.

5. troutski

troutski Active Member

So, if you haven't bought Rocket League because you think it sounds stupid or boring, you are dead wrong. It's more fun than it has any right to be, and that's the magic of it all. Play with friends, or you're going to rip your hair out trying to win, though.

6. troutski

troutski Active Member

How many people do you think honestly played SARPBC back in 2008? It was a mediocre game, which critics didn't really rate highly, that most people don't even know about, and they sure as heck couldn't tell you what the full game name is. In contrast, Rocket League has received high praise and immediate attention.

The average gamer is going to assume that it's a standalone game, not a sequel.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

A lot of players did, you can't really build a fanbase this high in such a short period of time. A lot of the "pro players" of this game played SARPBC before and while it wasn't the best game, it was still somewhat decent.

8. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

They deserve the success they got since you could tell the hype is more built around players actually sharing a good game rather than artificial hype brought on by an existing title or marketing techniques.

9. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

This game is a sleeper hit in my opinion. It didn't really gain any traction with it's marketing, the concept sounds amazingly fun but also stupid and it could've ended up being just a really good concept with terrible execution. The thing is though, it ended up being very well done. The graphics were great, the features of the game were very polished and the gameplay is addicting. Even though maybe not a lot of Youtubers played it, or played it a lot, the public or the mass market of gamers were still exposed to it and it ended up making a whole lot of money in the end.

10. jbepp

jbepp Member

I first got interested in this game when I saw a gif on reddit. I got it that day and I gotta say that it really deserves all the sales it's getting. The gameplay is easy to learn but hard to master, and that makes it much more fun in my opinion. I play it almost every day with my friends.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I guess that makes two of us, I also found out about the game from reddit and various Twitch streams. Best 20$ ever spent, I haven't seen anyone who doesn't like this game. It's heaps of fun, I play it nearly everyday!

12. BluBird

BluBird Member

It deserves all it's success, a brilliant game with great support from the devs. As soon as there are server issues, they fix it almost immediately. Bravo, Psyonix!

13. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah it does sound like the developers of this game are doing things right. First off they made a game that's unique and appeals to the masses which no one risks anymore these days, and they seem to be on top of fixing bugs and updates as well.