Racing in virtual reality?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Norjak71, May 7, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

Does anyone hear have a want to race in one of the new virtual reality headsets? This is going to be one of the first things I want to experience when I order mine. The thrill of going 200 MPH on a narrow street into oncoming traffic with 30 other racers charging at me is going to be something else. If you are interested what specifically attracts you to the idea? Virtual reality seems to have a fine line of love it/hate it, with really no in between, so what is everyone's thoughts on this?

2. krnd

krnd Member

I would be quite interested, especially if you can look at your surroundings and feel the difference as if you were in a real car going that fast. I'm assuming car games will be one of the main attractions, maybe even for those wanting to get better at driving in real life!

3. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I can't wait to play racing games with VR headsets. It's going to be an experience being able to turn your head to see the car right next to you. The sounds as well will be even more pronounced.

4. Sworden

Sworden Member

To be honest, after getting exhilarated simply by playing a formula race in Forza 6, I can't even imagine how awesome doing VR for it would be.

Ever since I got used to playing in Cockpit mode, I've always wondered just how awesome doing VR would be.

Now imagine doing VR with a full steering wheel set, now that's immersion.

5. krnd

krnd Member

I never thought of it but VR with a full steering wheel set would be ideal. What I'm wondering is how one would limit or do things such as using the car's stick or even use the brake/manual brake, it sounds overly complicated or that it'd require a lot of extra gear, perhaps only suited for car games?

6. Sworden

Sworden Member

For something like this, you would need an entire set. There are already sets like these out there, which include the gear stick, accelerator, etc. I know I saw a video a while back about someone playing Driving Truck Simulator using VR and a full setup. It actually looked really, really fun.

What I think would work really well though, is if arcade companies went and bought VR equipment, then had booths set up with all the necessary equipment for people to play. Now that would be something I'd go and occasionally play.

7. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I've always wanted to know how it feels to do some street racing in real life. And VR is going to make that a reality. It's possible to experience the thrill of real racing and never have to worry that in case of an accident . . .

Can't wait to do some VR racing.

8. Sworden

Sworden Member

Just thinking of being able to do that is pretty exciting. VR really is going to open up brand new roads (pun intended) for gamers throughout the world. Imagine being at an arcade and having separate booths all set up with VR, but you also have a legitimate feeling seat, life like stick shift/pedals, and also playing a game that has good physics and graphics.

The immersion would be unreal.

Denis Hard likes this.
  9. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

Like Sworden said, you can purchase a wheel and pedal setup. There are good ones that you can buy for under $200. They are relatively inexpensive.

10. raceman998

raceman998 Member

It would be better than driving a car in real life because even if you face an accident, it would all be fake. :D

11. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Bro, I am looking for a cheaper one. Are there any cheaper ones available (below $200)?

12. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Yes, I would be really amazing to feel real kinda environment. I am just waiting for the VR to be released.

13. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Many investors are investing in this technology and I am sure that this technology would be a boon for the gamers like us.

14. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

I'm pretty sure you can find thrustmaster and logitech models for around $100. The models with force feedback are much more expensive. They will cost at least a couple hundred dollars.

15. erook7878

erook7878 Active Member

The oculus is available right now and playstation will be releasing their own VR system soon. I think I read it will be released at the same time Gran Turismo sport comes out. That's going to be pretty intense to play GT with it.

16. krnd

krnd Member

GT really seems like it will be the first big VR racing game, if all goes well we may be looking at a new generation of eSport titles too.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'm not too interested, but maybe I'll change my mind once I get to try. I think I'd be more pleased with VR playing other types of games though since for the most part you'd only have to look straight when racing, and also I'm not that fond of first person view in the first place.

18. Susime

Susime Active Member

Racing in VR is going to be so insane that I can't describe words for it. People say they can feel the sense of speed in games and that's just on their monitor. Think how it's gonna be when you're wearing a VR headset and you're "plugged" into the game.

It's gonna be amazing and I can't wait.

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I want to invest money into a really good steering wheel with pedals and stickshift, then get some VR goggles and a chair that rocks back and forth depending on what's happening in the game. That'd be pretty sick!

Denis Hard likes this.
  20. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I plan to buy sim racing accessories, a high-end gaming PC and the best VR headset either next year or the year and then I'll get the best sim racing games and boy . . . I'll experience first hand those high speeds.

I wonder though when you crash, how does it feel . . .