Project Cars Gains New DLC, Loses Wii U Plans

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Peter Paltridge, Jul 21, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

Project Cars developers Slightly Mad Studios announced the release of a new DLC pack for their game today. With the purchase of the pack you will get three new cars and one new raceway: Ruapuna Park in New Zealand, which contains five different track layouts. The three new cars are all Audi models: the R18 e-tron Quattro, the R8 LMP900, and the 1989 90 IMSA GTO.

If you don’t go for the DLC, you’ll still get something: Slightly Mad is giving away a free car to everyone, the Audi A1 Quattro. YOU get a car, and YOU get a car, and YOU get a car!

In other news, Slightly Mad took the opportunity to make a second announcement: the once planned Wii U port of Project Cars has been cancelled. To those who have been following the development of the port, this comes as no surprise. The team struggled to make the game run smoothly on the Wii U hardware, but could only achieve a decent framerate through sacrifices that made the port unacceptably inferior. The only option left was to can the project.

The DLC is now available for all versions of the game — Playstation 4, XBox One and PC — for $5.49.

The post Project Cars Gains New DLC, Loses Wii U Plans appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yay, free cars! Everyone wins! No, but seriously, the cars look pretty badass but I don't think I'm going to buy the DLC. It's a feasible sum of money but I just don't feel the need to purchase it. Thank you for the heads up, though!

3. Susime

Susime Active Member

A pretty good bunch of cars...and a new place to race them on. What's not to like? My favourite of the pack has got to be the R-18 e-tron. Listening to the on-board footage from Le Mans is beautiful and I hope they have captured that electronic whine of it.

Sad news for Wii U fans but it was always going to be a maybe for that console right from the get-go.

4. BluBird

BluBird Member

The cars look just alright, to be honest.

Regarding the cancellation: It's a pity indeed, but better that that deliver a half baked game just for the sake of cheap proffit
    (Looking at you, Gearbox and Activision)

5. troutski

troutski Active Member

I like that Wii U owners are whining about the cancellation because many of them refuse to admit that a Wii U version was always a maybe and never a guarantee.

6. Susime

Susime Active Member

This is what I don't get about it all. Some say they (Wii U owners) were treated like crap by the developers for not releasing it on the console but you only have to look at the games graphics to get an idea that to make it work on the Wii U would have taken some serious modifications of the game, possibly even a new graphics engine.

Like it or not, they are a business out to make money and they likely saw the effort involved would have cost them money rather than made them money. Very unfortunate for Wii U owners but that is sadly just the way it goes.

troutski likes this.
  7. niiro17

niiro17 Member

Yes, new cars! And also sad because this game cancelled on WiiU. Well, they said long ago that will this game will be or not get release on WiiU.

8. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

Even if the Wii U is a very weak machine, they could've still tried to port it. Or at least, if they are so anti-Wii U, they shouldn't have treated Wii U users like shit on their forums, insulting them. Horrible business practices from them, and now they expect us to fund their sequel? No thanks, me buying this game was too much support already.

9. Susime

Susime Active Member

I don't know what went on on their forums but as I say they likely worked out it would be too much time and money to make it workable on the Wii U and abandoned it.

10. troutski

troutski Active Member

Ditto on the forums thing. If that's true, then that's obviously not right. Still, Susime is right about the graphical demands of the game and that the Wii U wouldn't have been able to handle it. A port wouldn't have worked, and I agree that a different game engine would have been required, which would have hurt the overall quality of a Wii U version. Also, the cost involved of doing that instead of a port would be astronomical.

11. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

Eh, now that I think about it, it's only natural that they at least tried to do it. As for what they did on their forums, they insulted Wii U users and behaved like man-children.

I still find it really scummy that they are not only already thinking of a sequel, but they are also asking for money once again from people. It's as if they don't want to invest any money into their business.

12. Susime

Susime Active Member

Yeah I gotta say I'm not too keen on their announcement of a squeal so soon after the release of the first. I feel they should iron out all the wrinkles before thinking about a second one. Don't get me wrong the game is fantastic, but it does have it's problems that need to be sorted. Again, need money to make money and all that, I suppose.

I had no idea what was going on on the forums.

13. troutski

troutski Active Member

Big deal. Companies release games and then immediately start working on sequels all the time. That doesn't mean support for the previous game ends, and that doesn't mean the next game becomes a disaster. If things are handled right, then no harm and no foul.

14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

This is one of the reason why Nintendo's Wii U has failed again. Game developers have set the bar high for video game quality and expectations. Dropping that down for the sake of a inferior console, is not in the best interest of the company in question. I hope with the Nintendo NX the do it right and come back stronger then ever and is up to par with what is out there right now.

15. troutski

troutski Active Member

Well, actually, it's taken some time, but the Wii U is generating a healthy amount of profit for Nintendo at this point. It's all thanks to a heavy slate of great first party titles and some decent third party offerings.

16. troutski

troutski Active Member

What seemed like a bad idea at release is now a decent moneymaker for Nintendo. The next console will need to bring something more to the table, but the Wii U did succeed on inferior hardware...eventually. That's the strength of Nintendo, though.

17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

I read differently guys. Nintendo Wii U failed. I don't have the projected numbers, but the Wii U is the slowest selling console Nintendo ever had. They are calling it a failure, but do you guys know where I can get the accurate numbers? All I could find was numbers from the end of 2014. They were up back then, but it's been 6 months.

http://www.lazygamer.net/nintendo/wii-u/is-the-tide-changing-for-nintendos-wii-u/
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/29/8861795/wii-u-failure-gamepad-nintendo-shigeru-miyamoto

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  18. Susime

Susime Active Member

Sounds like Nintendo really need to do something to bounce back in the gaming world.

Do you think they will ever make efforts to make a next-gen equivalent console, or will they forever go with stuff like the Wii?

19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

They tried to ride the niche on another console and gamers just didn't pick up on the whole tablet controller. Kind of reminds me of the Dreamcast controller. We'll see what they do next. I don't know if they can compete with Sony or Microsoft any more. There is room for one more, but are they happy with just getting by?

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Too bad they couldn't make it work for Wii u but honestly I don't think it's their market anyway. I think Nintendo just has their own niche market and everything additional is just a bonus to their users. Anyone who wants to play this game probably will have some of the other consoles.