Playing PC racing games using the keyboard

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Ghost Rider, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Do you have a steering wheel for the PC? I don't. That's why when I play racing games on the PC, I use the keyboard. And you know what? It sucks. Imagine, controlling a car just by pressing the left and right arrow keys and maybe a letter in the keyboard. It's pretty boring. That's why I like playing Racing games on the consoles much more because I can use the analog stick to control the cars. Your thoughts on this?

2. Livvy

Livvy Member

...If you have a console, why don't you just use the controller for the PC games you want to play? XD

360 controllers just need a driver, as they use the USB connection anyway. I think Xbone controllers are the same. PS3/PS4 though you need to buy an extension thingy for I believe, but I might be wrong. I just use my wireless 360 controller for most of my gaming, including the racing games obviously

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree. It's much easier and much more fun to use a controller than a keyboard when it comes to racing games, in my opinion. I even prefer it over steering wheels because I can be more accurate on it with just tapping the direction buttons.

4. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I don;t understand why someone would want to play a racing game with keyboard and mouse. The feeling would be never as good as when you play with controllers.

5. jurew2

jurew2 Member

When I was younger there weren't many controllers for the PC or I didn't realize they exist, so I was used to playing racing games if the keyboard and a mouse. After I tried to play a console racing game for the first time the feeling of playing the game with a controller was overwhelming and I emidiately bought a controller for the PC, because I didn't want to buy a console just for that feeling that I got. After I played so many games with my controller I really don't get the people that think that keyboard is better for playing racing games on the PC, maybe they just didn't try to play them with a controller, who know.

6. Livvy

Livvy Member

Agreed, although my opinion on wheels is more based on the fact that they're meant to help immersion, when they do anything but because you're still sitting there in your chair or whatever, only now you've got a tiny little wheel in front of you.

7. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Meh, I don't like using wheels for racing games and I HATE using the 360 controller for racing games. It's literally the worst.

8. Livvy

Livvy Member

What do you use then? The PS3/4 controller?

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I meant to say.. I like using my wheel for racing games..

I do use a PS2 --> PC adapter on pc games.

10. Livvy

Livvy Member

That makes a whole lot more sense. I did wonder what you could have been up, considering what you said before.

How does the PS2 controller compare to the others for you, or is it just that you happen to have that around when you need it?

11. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I was using a 360 controller for PC games for a long time but I heavily prefer the PS layout of buttons. When I can I use my wheel for racing games but that's not always an option.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree that it does help with immersion and it's probably the main point of it, but I just can't get immersed when I'm losing all the time lol. I'm guessing those who have grown used to it enough are the ones who are able to derive the most joy out of it, but it personally would just stick to a controller at the expense of extra immersion.

13. Livvy

Livvy Member

It doesn't even help my sense of immersion really, like I said, because like I said, I'm still sitting here in my chair, in front of a screen with a teeny tiny wheel in front of me. Not exactly the same as being in a car or anything like that, you know?

14. mrmatthew2k

mrmatthew2k New Member

I recommend some sort of wired control for racing on pc. They aren't too price and are a lot easier to use for driving. If you have enough money, you could also buy a nice driving wheel.

15. Livvy

Livvy Member

Why wired, and not wireless?

16. rgrimes

rgrimes Member

I hate using the keyboard for racing. I would rather prefer using a controller than the keyboard if I do not have a racing wheel. At this time, I don't have much money to buy an expensive racing wheel.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Haha. Good point. I guess I was pertaining to mostly the new types of wheels that seem to be more accurate, and I've seen a couple of rigs that have multiple monitors and a car seat, but yeah I don't think I'd enjoy myself that much as well even with that type of setup.

18. Livvy

Livvy Member

I could see myself enjoying it quite a bit, especially in terms of getting immersed in the game if it was a sort of arcade unit, with speakers all around me, and surrounded by screens. Especially if the unit moved with your car/character like certain arcade units do. God, that would be something amazing to have in your home, but imagine the cost!

19. Ricardo187

Ricardo187 Member

I don't think it's bad to play with the keyboard. It's actually easier for me than with a controller as I either use the keyboard or the steering wheel, and I don't always feel like assembling it whenever I want to play.

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I did have lots of fun playing on those at arcades back in the day. If I had those at home then I'd definitely enjoy it. The home versions for consoles don't come very close to the experience though in my opinion.