PC vs. Consoles.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by dailypost1, Oct 11, 2013.

1. jhpy1024

jhpy1024 New Member

Here's a few advantages/disadvantages in my opinion.

PC:

Advantages:
    • Hugely customizable
    • Allows for more resource intensive games than consoles.
    • Can be used for tons of other things, not just gaming/media.
    • Most games available on console are also available on PC.
    Disadvantages:
    • Can be more difficult to get set up and running compared to a console.
    • A computer with a decent GPU will cost you quite a bit of money.
    Consoles:
    Advantages;
    • Easy to set up and get started playing games.
    • Can also be used for watching movies etc.
    • Tons of games available
    Disadvantages:
    • Not as customizable as PC
    • Not as powerful as a decent PC.
    Please note, this is just my opinion. I'm sure some of you will agree/disagree with me :)

2. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

I feel like PC gaming is more for technology enthusiasts. To build a decent gaming PC in the console price range, you will probably need to build your own (at least until the Steam box comes out). Others have listed the pros and cons but I feel like they're aimed at completely different markets. Hopefully one day we won't need consoles anymore and everyone will be able to enjoy every game without having to buy another console.

3. orz

orz Member

I'll always choose a PC over a console. For the reasons below.

-Wide range of games (Indie AND MMO)
    -Better communication (Talk over Skype, Ventrillo, Mumble etc.)
    -Superior controlling (Keyboards, mouse, gamepads etc.)
    -Much, MUCH better graphics

4. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

Very true. Lots of mod's to be done, and as mentioned just above, it is a lot more towards technology enthusiasts that get something out of building and owning a gaming rig.

5. Poynt

Poynt Member

I would definitely go for PC since it's my first gaming device for me. It has given me a lot of excitement and memories.

It also has internet which can search for funny stuff and get the latest games.

6. randee555

randee555 Member

I like playing games on anything basically but it's just something about a console. It's designed for gaming and allows you to play with others in the room freely. A pc is awesome for solely playing or doing some online playing.

7. sidd230

sidd230 Member

I don't think you have ever seriously played on a PC. It is a much better experience, albeit a bit costly. You can hook it up to a TV and use an Xbox/PS3 controller directly.

8. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

Excellent!I completely agree with this take.

9. gats

gats Member

I love the freedom a computer offers. The gaming consoles are limited to whatever the console allows me to do.

10. sidd230

sidd230 Member

This. This is the biggest advantage. Mods provide so much of an advantage over consoles. I can ride unicorns in Skyrim, be Elizabeth in GTA and whatnot.

11. gats

gats Member

Yeah, and don't forget that we can install new operating systems at any given time instead of being limited to the consoles' default firmware. I love switching between Linux, Windows XP/7/8 at any time I want to.

12. sidd230

sidd230 Member

This reminds me that our glorious valve has provided us with one more choice. The open source SteamOS. I hope it catches on. This will surely help the PC market in the long run.

13. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I love the huge backwards compatibility the PC provides (we don't need HD remakes we can just run it in HD) and modding. PC is pretty sweet. I was a Nintendo and Sony guy primarily for a long time until I built my first PC and I never looked back. I mean I like my consoles for games I can't play on PC (Mario, Gran Turismo) but otherwise I rather play any and all games on my PC because of mods and graphical fedelity and the ability to use any controller I want to.

14. 4justice

4justice Member

I have nothing against PC gaming, but my heart is always going to be with the home gaming systems.

I've tried computer gaming a few times. Most of the times they don't have games I necessarily like. And when they do, I'm not much of a mouse and keyboard guy, nor do I like having to break my neck to get some of my games working.

15. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

Well for me I use a 360 or a PS2 Styled controller with games that need it. I've been playing through Jade Empire with a controller with no problems and it's been great. These days you really aren't tied to a mouse and keyboard only anymore. Unless it's an FPS otherwise I can't think of a reason why you would even use a controller with that.

16. Reaper_13

Reaper_13 Member

Only one thing does it for me when talking about this topic, evolution. The console will quickly become obsolete, outdated, while a PC, never. It only needs spare parts.

17. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

Without a doubt the PC is the winner. I thas better graphics, cheaper games , more exclusive titles, and you can play any game that has ever been created for the PC, unlike the playstaion and xbox. A console will get you buy if you want to play gaems, but if you are looking to make the most out of your gaming experience you have to play on a PC.

18. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I will almost always take console gaming over PC gaming any day. It just feels so much different when playing a game on a console than playing a game on a PC. Not a big difference but a difference none the less.

19. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

PC for me. I love having new mods and that's not possible if I am playing on a console. Having a good mod will increase the fun with whatever games you are playing. Plus it keeps you occupied for a longer period with mods and there's no need to look for new games in quite a while before you got bored with the games.

20. matrixor

matrixor Member

You can always switch components on a PC and upgrade it. You can't do that on a console. A PC also has way more features than a console, that's why It's kind of better. But if you are really only into gaming, then a console is better.