Other games similar to Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Marcus, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Marcus

Marcus Member

What are some other games similar to Mario Kart and Diddy Kong racing? I know there was a Crash Bandicoot racing, Jak and Daxter racing game, and I'm sure there's other similar games, but I can't think of any others. Can you? Would F-Zero count? I'm not too sure.

2. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

There are actually a number of great Kart games that could give Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing a run for their money. There's Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing available on all major consoles, ModNation Racers, on the PS3, and Wacky Racers. But of course, my favorite is Crash Team Racing on the PS1.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

There's an Angry Birds kart racing game out now for mobile called Angry Birds Go, and I imagine it's similar to the above-mentioned games. I haven't tried it out for myself, but I'm guessing it's up to par since it's an Angry Birds title.

4. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

There are a lot of racing games like Mario Kart. One great example is Crash Team Racing for the PlayStation 1. The game is almost an exact clone of Mario Kart. Another title is Speed punks, also for the PlayStation 1. The game has pretty good graphics for the PlayStation 1 and it is also a blast to play.

5. Solar

Solar Member

The best recent one is Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed. In a lot of ways, I find it a lot better than Mario Kart. Feels faster, items aren't as annoying. It feels like it relies more on player skill than item luck.

6. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing is a great game, definitely the current-gen equivalent of Mario Kart right now.

Another great game from way back in the PS1 was Crash Team Racing. Tracks were amazing and it was just an amazing experience trying to get all the relics, gems and whatnot.

7. Dez97

Dez97 Member

The only one i could really think of is sonic, but all the others sound really cool I might check some of these out. Has anyone ever played of the one listed above?

8. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

The few that I recall are Crash Tag Team Racing and then there was one very similar to Mario Kart for the GBA. Well, I just looked it up online and it's called Konami Krazy Racers. I'd also recommend games like Death Rally for DOS/PC, but the difference there is that it has a helicopter camera view. Another game similar to Mario Kart and Death Rally is Karnaaj Rally, again for the GBA.

9. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

Kart Rider by Nexon was a really really good game before it got shut down. Now it's a facebook game, but I believe it may also be shut down now. I play the Chinese version, as they still have the game in Asia. The game is really similar to Mario Kart and it's a ton of fun.

10. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

There was a Disney Cart racer for Dreamcast and PS1.

11. GudomligaSven

GudomligaSven New Member

Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed is an amazing Mario Kart clone. You go from driving to flying to boating (?) in the same level, and the level shifts halfway through! It got loads of fun characters and maps, and it's balanced well. I highly recommend it! :D

12. Artune

Artune Member

Crash team racing will forever be my favourite kart game. I don't know why but I love that game more than Mario Kart!

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

The one that comes to mind is Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed. Very fun racing game, especially since I love SEGA games so much.

14. ray king

ray king Member

If you really like Mario Kart then you have to try 'Sonic and Sega all stars transformed' even if you are not a sonic fan. I like Mario more, but Sonic racing is just so cool. Just look at the trailer man, you will know what I mean.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I'm personally on the side that prefers Sonic, but I like Mario. I agree with you. My daughter and I have so much fun playing that game. Since we're both SEGA fans, it gives both her and I a sense of nostalgia.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "Mario Kart clone", but there are similarities. There is fast, almost "cartoon-y" racing, and power ups, and it features the series' characters, but I think that's where the similarities end.

17. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I'm quite curious about this too. I really enjoy playing Nintendo's games. There's a lot of action and fun put into the game, which makes it REALLY enjoyable!

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I'm honestly also curious about this topic. The only other game I can think of, as I said before, is Sonic All-Star Racing and its sequel, but that's it. I find it fun playing those kind of loud, cartoon-y racing games with the power ups. It'd be nice to find another to play with my daughter.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I forgot about the Jak and Daxter one! My daughter likes the Jak and Daxter games. I should get that for her sometime. Thanks for the indirect reminder.