Opinions on Moto GP 15?

Discussion in 'MotoGP 23' started by GlacialDoom, Jun 28, 2015.

1. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Member

So, this game has been out for a few days now, and I'm considering whether I should buy it or not. Even though I enjoy motorcycle racing, I couldn't help but feel that the previous few MotoGP games were stale and lacking in fun and variety.

If anyone here bought this game, I'd appreciate it if they could share a few thoughts about the game. Does it have a lot of stuff to do? Most importantly, is it fun?

2. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

There are many reviews due to this game on the Internet.
    ~
    MotoGP 15 is one of those 'incremental updates' that invariably causes wailing and gnashing of teeth. But actually, in this instance, the small tweaks have made a noticeable difference to the experience, so I'm not sad. This is a more welcoming and consistent package, and just as exhaustive in terms of reproducing the sport.

As before, you get all the teams, bikes and riders of the current Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP season, but you also get last year's too, with a 2014 events mode asking you to replicate classic battles like Rossi vs Marquez at Qatar. It's a great use of the license, and seeing Valentino beaming at you from the loading screen (alongside a suitably inspiring quote), goes a long way to making you feel closer to the real life sport. That said, the presentation feels very similar to last year's game.

On the track, the AI riders put up a great fight, outbraking you into hairpins and slipstreaming past you down the straights. They tend to keep themselves to themselves in close races (which is necessary seeing as real-life contact can kill people), but they also tend to play it safe. If you take a gamble on a particularly crazy line, you can often make up several places in one corner. But overall, the racing is solid and challenging, and securing a podium finish without resorting to the rewind function is a significant achievement.

The bike handling is superb, and with all the assists set to their hardest setting, save for the traction control set to 'Low', I felt I'd found the best compromise between playability and realism. When even a simple practice session is fun, you know the handling is good.

Naturally, the MotoGP bikes themselves are monsters. With the same settings, you'll have many more wobbles, especially if you squeeze the front brake too zealously. Most moments can be saved if you watch for the signs… Just call me 'the Doctor'. What's that? Oh, apparently that's already taken. Jokes aside, however, the fact remains that bikes require a great deal of effort to control on anything other than newbie settings, and that doesn't always equal instant fun. So be warned.

Career mode sees the biggest new feature, as you can now start up your own team. You begin in Moto3, with a rather uncompetitive bike, and must attract new sponsors by meeting performance targets. You also build up 'Data Package' tokens - returning from last year - which you can spend on upgrading your ride, but now you also accumulate credits, which you can use to buy better bikes for your team. Sadly, any Data Packages you spend upgrading your first bike get wiped out when you switch to another, which does seem to negate the point of earning them, especially as a new bike's performance is noticeably better than upgrading an existing one.

The visuals have been tweaked - albeit subtly - to deliver much more organic-feeling environments. It's far from perfect, with incredibly basic trees on some tracks and uniform dry patches that totally shatter the illusion when they're regimented perfectly down one half of a straight (that doesn't count as a 'dry line', I don't care what anyone says). But, thanks to some more natural-looking lighting, and the occasional moment of hazy-filtered gorgeousness, MotoGP 15 feels far less sterile than last year's game.

As you can probably tell, I like MotoGP 15. It's a strong official product to go alongside the real-world season, and the core riding experience is just as great as Ride's, only with better racing, presentation and tracks. It's definitely the best bike racing game on PS4. But there's a nagging feeling I can't shake...

Read up more at; http://www.gamesradar.com/motogp-15-review/ Source (c)

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Thank you for the detailed reply, it was very helpful as I wasn't familiar with this game. Moto GP 2015 is an interesting option for motorcycle racing, but I'm not too convinced if it's purchase-worthy.

4. troutski

troutski Active Member

It's very average, even for a MotoGP game.

5. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Well, it's a motorcycle racing game that goes for realism, so I assume, from the trailers that is, that it's similar to other racing games that aim for realism, such as Gran Turismo and F1. It's basically just start with a mediocre motorcycle, win some races with it, upgrade your motorcycle by replacing parts, or even getting new ones after you unlock them by winning races or, hopefully not, by purchasing them via microtransactions. These games tend to have a very low game time, so I'm probably gonna get bored with them after a few hours of playing.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Not very much that's special looking to me. Although to be fair it's what I feel about most games that don't have extra objectives like power ups or crashing onto other players as goals. Should be a good mid level game to spend time on when you don't have anything else to play I think.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Member

That is pretty much what I gathered in my short experience with it. A lot of building up and repairing and all of that stuff, and just not all the much racing itself. Of course there are ways around it, but it such as essential part of the game and how it is made, that it is hard to escape. I see how some love it, but it is really not for me.

8. john flaming

john flaming Member

I really like Moto GP 15. I recently got it and started playing. I like the graphics work. There are many things to do in this game. I love all the features in it. Developers had put their best efforts in it. I really love Motorbike racing.

9. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

Visually speaking MotoGP 15 is neither spectacular or terrible, also the lighting seems smoother and more realistic than some of the previous editions. The gameplay does make up for the lack of graphics quality though- and the introduction of private team creation is a definite positive also.

10. sidney

sidney Member

I think that it's an ok game. Nothing spectacular, just alright for my taste.

11. overcast

overcast Member

I too agree that it is okay types of the game. And it can be pretty interesting to watch it as well.