Obscure PSP Games

Discussion in 'Portable Gaming' started by Wubwub, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

The PSP was filled with a ton of less mainstream games, and I'm sure any PSP owner would have come across one or two of the better ones at some point. That said, which of these obscure games are your favorite? Mine would probably be Chili Con Carnage. I don't know what it is about this game, as I don't usually gravitate towards "silly" games, but somehow I found this one very enjoyable and very well rounded.

2. meta_mach

meta_mach New Member

I didn't know about that game but it looks really fun! There is also a game called obscure I thought this topic was going to be about. I never got to try that game either. My favorite has to be The 3rd Birthday but that is mainly because I loved all the Parasite Eve games on the original playstation. I bought them on PSN just to play them again and have to say the gameplay hold up very well.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You should try it out, it's very fun! Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, meta_mach. I was mainly looking for PSP games, but I do still play PS1 sometimes and I've never heard of the game you mentioned so I will definitely check that out!

4. meta_mach

meta_mach New Member

The 3rd birthday is a continuation of the parasite eve series from the PS1 but it is a PsP game. It's a 3rd person shooter with some rpg elements. Here is the gamespot review for it, there is no driving in it but it is still a really fun game. Ignore what he says about controls, I never had a problem with them.

5. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

Not exactly "obscure", but I seem to be the only one to know about Katamari Damacy at my place. It's a crazy little game when you roll things up into a ball, and trust me, it's a lot more entertaining when you actually play the game.

And it's popular enough to spawn sequels as well! A clip for those who are interested:

6. Reaper_13

Reaper_13 Member

Now this one is really Obscure.

It's a survival horror game, I think it's not that bad.

7. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

The PSP had more obscure and amazing games then anything besides the dreamcast.

8. froggy666

froggy666 Member

I loved "Gangs of London." I don't know why but it just felt good. It was a interesting game that nobody I knew even seemed to know existed but it was one of my favorite PsP games.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm learning so much about games that I've missed on the PSP and I have definitely played a lot of games on it. I think that is just a clear sign of how dominant it was as a portable console at the time it was out. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys, I wish I still had my PSP so I could test these games out, but I'll probably just buy one soon.

10. jurew2

jurew2 Member

If I have to choose one of the games that was obscure for PSP I would probably say Loco Roco.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Obscure PSP games that come to mind are Loco Roco and Patapon. Both are unusual little Japanese games that are fun to play and really cute. If you want something lighthearted and you don't have to think too hard about, these two games are for you.

12. Colebra

Colebra Member

Do you consider Parappa the Rapper obscure?
    That was a lot of fun...

[​IMG]

Where else are you going to go, when you feel like battle rapping a Martial Arts sensei, who happens to be an onion?

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Wait, they made a port of Parappa the Rapper on PSP? I recall it being on the PS2. Oh, and it's not super obscure. People do know about it and reference it. I've even heard famous Youtubers mention Parappa the Rapper.

14. Colebra

Colebra Member

Sorry.
    My bad for not reading the thread title correctly...
    I think the game was for PS1 originally.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

No, it's OK. It was just a mistake, and if that's the case, sorry for "feeding you a lie" the way I did. Nevertheless, Parappa the Rapper is amusing.

16. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I tried to get into loco Roco but I just can't get into cute games and it's actually one of the things I love about PSP is that they have serious games as well as cute ones whereas I think Nintendo mostly has cute games.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I never touched obscure games when I was still playing on the PSP except for some anime games that weren't as popular. There are some good suggestions here!

18. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

The DJMax portable series of games are great for fans of music rhythm games like Dance Dance Revolution, StepMania or osu!

19. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I am the opposite in that I never got to play any of the anime games. I heard there were lots of them and there seems to be even more for the current ps vita. I would love to be able to play the old PSP again and try out those games I missed.

20. Arvis

Arvis Member

That "Chili Con Carnage" game looks and sounds a lot like PC game "Total Overdose", which is pretty much a GTA game with Mexican theme. Weird that it has a different name, it looks very similar.
    It's sad that I missed these games while I had my PSP.