Movies Adapted From Video Games

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Wubwub, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Ever since the boom of the console market, Hollywood has decided to capitalize on the popularity and consistently fail miserably at it. I've always found it fascinating how the movie industry continually seems to miss the mark when it comes to adapting video games into film. They seem to have an easy enough time when it comes to comic books, so why not video games?

Still, I have to give Street Fighter: The Movie and Mortal Kombat 1 & 2 some credit, or even a lot of credit, since I do enjoy both of those very much. The recent attempt at a Street Fighter Movie (Legend of Chun Li) though, left me shaking my head, as it was such a missed opportunity in my opinion.

What are your opinions on console video game movie adaptations? Do you like any one of them, or do you hate them all? Would you be willing to watch the Super Mario Brothers again in full? I probably would but that's because I'm a sucker for bad movies.

2. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I like the movie adaptations of the Resident Evil video games. They have achieved a different image as compared to the video games. I especially loved Resident Evil: Afterlife in 3D. It was full of over the top action that was really impressive.
    [​IMG]

As for the Lara Croft movies, I think that they were a snoozefest. It was a good thing that Angelina Jolie was so hot.

3. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I never really liked the movie tie ins to be hnest. They almost every time suck. There are a few exception of course, but they are so few of them to justify such releases. Games like Resident Evil or Batman series are only few good ones out there.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I found the TR movies boring too, but the first one was bearable, in my opinion. As for RE, I liked some of them, and other ones not so much. I think I liked 4 the best, the one with the yellow raincoat at the beginning, but mostly they kind of feel too much like a generic zombie movie to me, which I find a little boring but still good.

5. Solar

Solar Member

The Resident Evil movies predicted the downfall of Resident Evil. Look at the movies, released before the game started to focus so much on action. But the movies were more focused on the action than the survival horror, weren't they? And now we have RE5 and RE6 which are pretty much just shooters. Haha.

Anyway, movies based on games rarely turn out to be good. They take TOO MUCH freedom with them and turn them into something that fans of the videogame won't appreciate, even if the movie by itself is decent.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree, and I am confused by it. I think most games have a good enough premise to them, and sometimes they even already have a good enough plot within them, but somehow, studios just choose to liberally change everything about the game. I think some of them that don't take it too seriously are able to get away with some silliness, and I think that's the right way to go about it.

7. santorebirth

santorebirth New Member

You said it. That Chun Li movie sucked big time!

One of the few video game movies that I like is Hitman. IMO it was pretty decent.

8. froggy666

froggy666 Member

If I remember correctly the best film made from a game was Max Payne. It was an amazing game only for them to make a film and it seemed amazing. I just feel that no other game to film will be that interesting.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Agreed. I appreciate bad movies, as long as they are entertaining, and the Chun Li movie was just too boring and forgettable. I really hope it hasn't killed off the chances of a proper adaptation in the future.

10. AndreiFL

AndreiFL Member

Hitman was a pretty good movie too! I loved the scene where the protagonist would enter someone's apartment and that person was also playing Hitman.

11. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

For me Max Payne will be my choice. This game is just great you can get hooked on it within no time. I just love it.

12. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I loved that movie. But I didn't notice the scene you mentioned here. Will have to check online for this :D.

13. matrixor

matrixor Member

I really liked Hitman. The action was great. I loved the missions.

14. tdog6236

tdog6236 New Member

Video game movies usually do turn out bad, but I think that has to do with the wrong people in control of the script and story and directing. Also good acting makes a movie better, obviously, and staying true to the source material. I have a feeling the Assassin's Creed movie and Splinter Cell movie will do good with the great lead actors they have. Hopefully they turn out great because everyone will be looking at them when it comes to making more movies from games, and then result in better adaptions.

15. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

The movie industry is scared of games. Even when they get some profit out of it, they usually get bad to mixed reviews. And that doesn't really help their credentials. The movie industry is trying to take the game's fan to the big screen, only to see a crappy movie. True directors are not going to do that. They're trying to make an actual movie only based on the game. Not a movie that tries to make the whole movie a gimmick. *cough* Resident Evil *cough* The Last of Us is turning into a film and to be honest, it looks good. Maisie Williams as Ellie, Gerald Butler as Joel and Sam Raimi as the director. Please for the love of God, may this film to average to mind-blowing. Don't ruin the original's image, please?

16. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I highly anticipate the Metal Gear Solid movie. I dunno if it would translate well into a movie. But as long as they could keep the boring banter to a minimum and incorporate a lot of cool fight scenes, the movie would be a hit. Also, I'm looking forward to the Shadow of the Colossus movie. How awesome would that be? It would probably be epic.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I did not know they were making a MGS movie but I agree they should keep the dialogue to a minimum which they do a lot nowadays. I hope they do it right because it's one of the titles that I think would really make a great movie.

18. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I didn't see any movies that were adapted from video games, because I didn't really watch a lot of movies in the past. It's a little different now and I like to watch some more movies than back then, so I'm glad I found this thread that will help me select the movies I should watch that were adapted from the games that I played.

19. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I loved the silly Tomb Raider movies what can I say..

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I liked the first one but the second one was a bit boring to me. Still a lot better then most other adaptations though.