Most Underrated Film

Discussion in 'Film and Television' started by dannyboy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. dannyboy

dannyboy Member

What movie do you consider to be one of the most underrated of all time and why?

2. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

Clerks. Its such a classic , it should be more well known. To think that Clerks was made on a budget of under $30,000. That might seem like a lot but its nothing when it comes to movies.

3. wulfman

wulfman Member

there are several that come to mind

Happiness
    The Last King of Scotland
    Lagaan (Indian movie)
    The Bucket List

4. rgrimes

rgrimes Member

The Italian Job, I guess no-one has really seen it on this forum but it is a great British classic. Must watch for everyone!

5. wulfman

wulfman Member

well I've seen the one with Charlize Theron and Mark Wahlberg. That got its due credit and acclaim.

6. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@wulfman agreed. I just watched happiness recently and I was surprised that such a good film wasn't talked about more. Though, I suppose its dark theme has a lot to do with it.

7. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

Scott Pilgrim vs The World, I think was an underrated film. Yes, the movie did get a lot of reviews and ended up getting over 80% in Rotten Tomatoes, it's just that I think a lot of people didn't really get the chance to end up to realize that this is probably one of the best movies to translate the comic book feeling to the big screen. Just the usage of the text font, the special effects, the deadpan acting and just the off putting jokes. I like the film, I just wished people would've watched it more because this film deserves to be seen by gamers, comic fanatics, anime lovers and just people in general.

8. wulfman

wulfman Member

Stephen King's Langoliers had a good beginning and middle.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  9. wulfman

wulfman Member

Romper Stomper is a 1992 Australian crime drama film written and directed by Geoffrey Wright, starring Russell Crowe, Daniel Pollock, Jacqueline McKenzie and Tony Lee. Crowe rose to glory from this film to later do 'Gladiator' and 'A Beautiful Mind'

10. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I think Grave Encounters is the most underrated movie ever made. I just saw the movie a couple of days ago despite some people saying it's really bad. I decided to give it a chance anyway and I ma glad I did. It's really chilling.

11. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

I wouldn't really call Clerks a real underrated movie. The movie itself is actually a big cult hit among film fans, but I understand when you call it an underrated film in the face of normal moviegoers. I like movies and I can call myself an avid fan of them, but most movies that moviegoers watch are the summer blockbusters and they can't, not really appreciate, but they can't really understand the whole quality of the movie, especially with a budget under 30k.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

A Thousand Words, which is coincidentally my favorite movie of all time. It's probably one of the best concepts I've ever seen on the big screen, curious as to why it didn't get the recognition deserved.

13. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah clerks was really given a lot of attention and it still gets a lot of praise even until today. It launched the career of the director so I wouldn't call it underrated.

14. peelout247

peelout247 Member

For some reason I always felt The Butterfly Effect with Ashton and Spider Man 3 got a bad rap. But I could understand being how the Butterfly film had an alternate ending that would have saved the film. That and the fact that it was over 4 hours long and as far as Spider Man goes, I just feel it had some very bad spots that made it cringe worthy.

If those spots were replaced then there would be a pretty decent movie on your hands.

15. emilyhalko

emilyhalko New Member

Some of the movies that I consider underrated aren't necessarily underrated, but are not known as well as they should be and are not given the nonrecognition that they really deserve. These movies include: The Imitation of Life, White Oleander, American Mary. I adore these movies!

16. tpicks

tpicks Member

Yes I quite think the film Italian Job is underrated. This an American heist film, a remake of the 1969 British film

17. Sosi

Sosi Member

I'll thrоw оnе оut thеrе: Sеppuku (1962), аlsо knоwn аs Hаrаkiri in еnglish. It's а sаmurаi mоviе dirесtеd by Kоbаyаshi, whо аlоng with оzu аnd Kurоsаwа is оnе оf thе grеаt dirесtоrs оf сlаssiс Jаpаnеsе film.

18. Terry1

Terry1 Member

I prоpоsе :
    Sсrооgе. This musiсаl аdаptаtiоn оf а сhristmаs саrоl hаs grеаt musiс, а fаntаstiс pеrfоrmаnсе frоm аlbеrt Finnеy, аnd is аn inсrеdibly еntеrtаining film. If it wаs mаdе а dесаdе еаrliеr, it wоuld bе а сlаssiс. Nоw it's а fооtnоtе.
    Tаrgеts. Thе first film frоm Pеtеr Bоgdоnоviсh, it stаrs Bоris Kаrlоff аs аn аging hоrrоr stаr (bаsiсаlly, hе plаys himsеlf) whо hаs tо dеаl with thе rеаl lifе hоrrоr оf а sеriаl killеr/snipеr.
    Thе соnvеrsаtiоn. Yоu hаvе Gеnе Hасkmаn. Yоu hаvе Frаnсis Fоrd соppоlа. Yоu hаvе оnе оf thе bеst еxplоrаtiоns оf pаrаnоiа еvеr filmеd. аnd, whilе inсrеdibly аpprесiаtеd by film сritiсs, it's bееn fоrgоttеn by mоst оf thе publiс. аn аbsоlutе shаmе.

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I just watched it again last night and a very good underrated movie to watch for summer is a movie called "Two for the Road",and stars Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn as an English couple. Watching this movie is like taking a nice long vacation through the French countryside , and this couple does argue quite a bit throughout -and it came out in 1967 but the scenery is very good also.

20. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod Member

I can think about a few underrated movies, but I always thought about how "Memento" was underrated. Almost no one that I know personally hasn't seen the movie yet. And I think that the movie is astonishing. The concept and the idea of it is really original. Never seen anything like it. The timeline of the movie blew me away. And later on I found out that it was Christopher Nolan that created "Memento", after I watched "Inception".