MMORPGs That Can Be Profitable

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Wubwub, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've never really played MMORPGs before, other than trying out DOTA once or twice back in the day. Last year, my interest was piqued, though, when I heard that my friends were making some money playing Diablo 3 and selling items. My question is, is it still profitable today, and is the market still good? Are there any other MMORPG games that I could get into and maybe make a few dollars on?

Just to be clear, I'm not aiming to get tremendous amounts of cash from playing games, I just would prefer to play something that at least I can make some money on so I don't feel too guilty about spending my recreation time. All suggestions, tips, advice are welcome!

2. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

Well, there are not a lot of MMOs out there that can be profitable unless of course you start botting which is illegal and will get you banned. There are some people who have made more than $10,000 with TF 2 and Diablo 3. DIablo 3 has an auction house where you can sell your loot for real money. It was good while it lasted, but they care closing it don now. So, there are not a lot of options for you here.

3. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

Diablo definitely isn't profitable any more. MMORPG's are hard to make profit from. It's really not worth the effort. I would look for another money making avenue if I were you. IT's just not worth it.

4. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I think Dota 2 is better classified as ARTS. I know some guys who make profit out of Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 and CS:GO. But playing games for making real money is a bad idea.

5. sidd230

sidd230 Member

Not if you are a professional gamer. I mean look at Virtus.Pro. a 100K USD check from a single tournamet. Pro gaming is amazing.

6. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

That was amazing indeed. But for casual gamers like us, making money through gaming is not an easy task. It is always an option to trade gaming stuff online, but the pay won't be much.

7. AndreiFL

AndreiFL Member

WoW is a very profitable business, since it has a monthly fee.

8. sidd230

sidd230 Member

Well you could earn a decent amount by selling drops. YOu will just have to be lucky. On the other side, you could be like me and spend all your money on stupid keys.

9. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

Buying keys and opening chests are stupid things to do in my humble opinion. Most of the time you will get items worth only some cents. It is better to buy items from the market directly itself. On the other hand you can trade keys for games and items too. So opening chests is just a waste of money.

10. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

That is so sad to hear that they are closing Diablo 3

11. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I think he meant the auction house only.

12. AndreiFL

AndreiFL Member

Most good MMORPGs are either free-to-play and pay-to-win, or require a monthly fee. If you do this, you'll earn a lot of passive income with this trick.

13. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

Which trick are you talking about?

14. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I made some money from Diablo 3's auction house when it was still functional, but now I don't know about any other game you can make money playing games.

15. sayimleet

sayimleet New Member

Runescape can be very profitable if you know what you're doing.

16. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

Do you mean legally or illegally? On Runescape we used to sell our accounts on eBay and certain sites, but it's risky and will likely get you perma banned. World of Warcraft has the curse.com website and you could probably create mods and sell for really cheap, but usually the modifications are free.

I tried botting on Ragnarok Online, but I became greedy and careless and ended up losing 4-5 accounts. Yeah, stay away from things that will get you in trouble. ;)

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@wowtgp I remember my friends making a good amount of money when this game first came out, and I often wondered how come the hype died down as I suddenly stopped hearing about this as time went on. Anyone care to shed some light on what happened to Diablo 3's earning capabilities?

18. Livvy

Livvy Member

Games like DOTA or TF2 can be very profitable. Extremely so in fact. The problem is, you're not going to make a profit off of DOTA unless you're actually willing to play the game! Otherwise, you're just not going to get the drops and such that sell well. So, it's only a real money winner if you're already playing the game, or at least have an interest in it.

TF2 though, anyone can make money off of that if you're willing to put in the time and effort. Hell, you don't even have to really play the game. All you'd be doing is buying and trading items and keys. I've got a tutorial about this somewhere, I'll try and find it for you if you want?

19. rgrimes

rgrimes Member

You can make profit selling things on Runescape, however selling the items on websites is illegal in the runescape terms and conditions and will get you banned.

You can try botting in Runescape which can give you a small amount of money every day, it is still illegal in the terms and conditions of Runescape though.

20. Livvy

Livvy Member

So can you actually make money legally with Runescape then, or is it all just illegal means of making money?