Mercedes SUV Coming to Mario Kart 8

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Shawn Hopkins, May 30, 2014.

1. We do a lot of stories about real-life cars being licensed for games here, but this one is a bit of a topper. Mercedes, the dignified, upscale brand most not-associated with colorful karting and wantonly tossing blue shells at people, has signed a deal to have one of its cars featured in Mario Kart 8.

The deal, which is for right now only in Japan, sees the Mercedes GLA SUV becoming available for your driving fun. It looks weird as hell, honestly, to see Mario squatting in a realistic gray mom-mobile. Of course this is blatantly promotional, but all real-life car licensing is blatantly promotional, so what else is new?

Eurogamer asked Nintendo UK if the DLC would make it to the west. They didn’t get a “no.”

“The announcement this time was made by Mercedes-Benz Japan regarding their collaboration in Japan with NCL,” a spokesperson told Eurogamer.

“As for the information relating to the distribution of the GLA kart for MK8 outside Japan, we will be able to announce in the near future.”

The deal also includes the terrifying Japanese ad embedded above. Get in your safe place before you watch this one.

[Source: Eurogamer]

The post Mercedes SUV Coming to Mario Kart 8 appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I've never been that much of a Mario Kart fan myself but I have to admit this has actually made the game a bit more interesting in my eyes. I think it's because I viewed the game as too cartoon-y before but adding real world elements in, I think, gives it a whole new dimension. If they add more real cars in the future then I will probably get even more interested in it.

3. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

This is so cool! There has never been a real car in any of the mario kart's so this will be very interesting to see. I hope they end up adding more real car's to the game to spice things up a bit. A Ford Mustang or Chevrolet Camaro would be cool to see.

4. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

That sounds promising, let's see how they make it work, because I don't think they had already done something like this for a Mario game...

5. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

Would actually buy it even without those real cars. But this news sounds good, and it'll make it better. I do hope they add more nice cars to the line up.