Mario Kart Hard To Play?

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by TheViper, Sep 15, 2015.

1. TheViper

TheViper Member

I have some friends that consider Mario Kart 8 to be one of the hardest games to play. This blows my mind as I know that some maps can be hard to play. Those maps being purely rainbow road but if you are able to practice a bit then you can master them like any other. The only thing hard about Mario Kart to me is when you are in the lead and get hit with a blue shell. Then after that you get knocked off the map and it is like everyone wants to destroy you life.

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

The last minute shell hit is what I would say makes this really challenging but otherwise I agree with you that it's not really that much harder than any other game. As long as you play it enough times to get a proper feel of it then you're set.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I think every game tends to need a few couple of tries before you get the hang of it, even the supposedly easy-to-play Mario Kart 8. I agree that some maps are hard, but you should play it just for fun and not think about winning. You don't get nothing after all.

4. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I think most racing games require you to play tracks over and over just to get the perfect run, especially on later stages. It's probably for the best too since otherwise it would be boring.

5. spectre456

spectre456 Member

The only hard mode in MK8 is 200cc. No matter how much I play on that mode I still end up crashing into every wall or slowing down too much on turns. Aside from that, MK8 is incredibly intuitive for beginners.

6. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I don't think of Mario Kart as being a hard game to play. I think of it as a fun exciting racing game that you can play with your friends for hours. It never gets old. Give it a try!

7. utneqo7d

utneqo7d Member

Exactly, I think they added in 200cc because the game was no challenge for the more die-hard players as it became really luck based (compared to older mario kart games)
    Now, in 200cc, even a small mistake might be fatal for the outcome of the race, where in 150cc or below a mistake didn't make any difference (perhaps 2 or 3 spots). It also takes way longer to master 200cc because you need to figure out when to break, when not to etc. to finish faster, as the races are really short.

8. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Yeah, it's definitely aimed at more experienced players. When my friends come over they hate playing on 200 cc because it's too hard for them to control.

9. utneqo7d

utneqo7d Member

The thing is that 200cc is the only real 'challenge' left once you played the game for a while. A lot of games take some time to 'master' but then are just too easy for a good gamer, but 200 cc is really way much harder to master than most casual mario games are so that's what makes it so special. Even with a lot of practise 200 cc still has it's elements which are really hard to control, and the influence of items, which can't be controlled by the player, is also very big.

10. Gin0710

Gin0710 Member

If anything, it's fun to play! Better graphics and cool add-ons!

11. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Okay, so I just played it with my younger cousin and he said it was hard to play. I think of it as an easy game because I have been playing it for years, but I guess new users need some time to adjust.

12. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Good point. Now that you mention it I probably had a bit if difficulty adjusting to it when I first started playing too especially getting used to the bonus pickups. It also helps that I've been playing racing games for a long time so I imagine someone not as familiar would behave even more difficulty.

13. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

I don't think it's hard to play, it's just that the element of luck is so integral in this game that even the most skilled players will find it challenging to win all the time.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

The gameplay of Mario Kart 8 is somewhat similar to Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing: Transformed, and some even say it's ripping it off. Though people said the original SEGA All-Stars Racing was a ripoff of Mario Kart. So, how a game can rip off a game that ripped off itself, I don't know. Nevertheless, if you haven't played Sonic's version, Mario Kart 8 might come off as a drastic change to gameplay.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You're right. There really is an element of luck and I think most people including myself forget that sometimes which makes it a lot more frustrating because you just feel like you lack skill during these times.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I can see how luck is factored in. You never know what items you'll end up with, because it's randomized. You'll also never know what items your opponents got until they use them on you. Luck could be on your side in the race, or you could be doomed from the start. You just have to rely on your own racing skills, and then hope that luck is on your side item-wise.

17. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I myself kind of favor games that rely as little as possible on luck but it's also fun from time to time to play those. I think as long as you keep yourself aware that luck is a factor you can have more fun and be less stressed about it. Skill still is a huge factor in this game though thankfully as I have played with friends I can never win against even when I'm lucky.

18. gats

gats Member

I don't think it is a hard game but it may be a little beyond casual for a kid's/family game. I think I have fun with mario kart more so than some "adult" racing games.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I'm the same way. I do prefer games that focus more on skill than luck. I like games that, with each time I play them, I feel that I am getting better at the game. When a game is too reliant on luck, I feel I am more likely to lose than win. Still, a game like Mario Kart 8 is enjoyable. It does involve both luck and skill, which can be balanced well.

20. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Agreed. I admit I want to blame it on luck whenever I lose, which is often, but I know I'm just not that good in this game yet it's still fun. Any game can have an element of luck I guess and some play it up more than others but I think they balance it equally here.