Is the Wii U a failure?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Marcus, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Marcus

Marcus Member

The Wii U hasn't done a really good job in the console market these days and I think it's safe to say Nintendo failed on this one. The Wii was a hugely successful console, thing is, they didn't do much else to make the Wii U jump ahead of current gen consoles. Do you think the Wii U is done? Will Nintendo have to go back to the drawing board? Do you think the Wii U can actually survive?

2. orz

orz Member

Absolutely, if you remember back when the Wii launched originally just the sheer amount of hype regarding it, nearly everyone had a Wii or had played one. I think it comes down to a lot of the casual market going to smartphones/tablets (Remember such things didn't exist during the launch) and everyone knowing the PS4 and XBOne were right around the corner.

3. bombthecherry

bombthecherry Member

I think a big price drop and some big titles are needed in order to push sales further, however they're not going to ever suddenly jump right up in the market and start selling consoles left right and center. It's unfortunate that they continued with gimmicky controls, as that is their downfall.

4. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

They've already slashed its prices a lot. I mean they've effectively been selling the console for a loss, for a while now. This hasn't helped it in anyway. Unless, they can come up with a mind shattering exclusive really quickly, the U is done for.

5. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I view the Wii U in the same line as I view the N64 - a great console but does not live up to the sales expectations of the company. Is the Wii U a failure? Financially speaking? Yes. It's a great and innovative device. The only problem is, the people just don't dig it.

6. Farseer

Farseer Member

From a business perspective - yes, its a failure, it didn't make enough money. I think it could have been great if it was released in a different time and for a different price - but it wasn't, so, yeah, its a failure in my opinion, too.

7. Kevin Valerio

Kevin Valerio Member

The thing about the Wii U that failed it, at least from my perspective, is that it just didn't have enough hype. Many people were not as excited about it, and for many new gen console comparisons, anyone who brings up the Wii U is pretty much laughed at. What really makes a game's sales explode is the exclusives and the new things it may possess that other consoles do not. Perhaps it does have new and unique things, but obviously it was not expanded on enough.

8. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

The Wii U is not a failure, yet it didn't live up to hype it has to become another next-gen consoles. In fact, the console released too early to compete with the next gen consoles coming out on the holidays like the PS4 and the Xbox One.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

It kind of is, but not totally, in my opinion. Nintendo still has a lot of fans, and I bet Wii-U is loved by many people all over the world still enjoy it, so it can never be a complete failure when it brings joy to that many people. It's not doing as well as expected from a company like Nintendo, though, so yes, I do hope they go back to the drawing board, and do something big and different, because I think innovation in gaming is stagnating and Nintendo is that type of company that would be great at solving this problem.

10. Solar

Solar Member

I will only consider it a failure if it doesn't get a massive boost in sales in 2014. There's a lot of great games coming, like Super Smash Bros and Super Mario 3D World.

I think people are really forgetful. Remember how the 3DS was doing like shit? Because it was. It was terrible. But then Nintendo released Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario 2 among others, which gave the system a huge boost in sales.

11. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

I don't think it is a failure I just don't think it lived up to its predecessor. It could of been better though.

12. gats

gats Member

The Wii-U didn't offer anything special for me so I didn't buy it. I don't see why Nintendo is allergic to making decent, normal consoles instead of trying to make their box a funny shape.

13. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

Reports state that Nintendo is losing money because of the Wii U. Wouldn't you call that a failure? Fortunately, the entity has a lot of investments to keep it afloat. Again guys, let me reiterate, the Wii U is a failure.

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

@Ghost Rider , I suspected just as much, as they couldn't possibly be doing well with the recent release of way more advanced consoles. I really hope they are able to figure it out for the next generation since I really would hate to see Nintendo go away.

15. FosterTXT

FosterTXT Member

I do think that the Wii U was a failure on Nintendo's part. I think Nintendo needs to wake up and get with the program. They need to bring out a console that plays like the PlayStation and Xbox.

16. LukeDerusha

LukeDerusha Member

In my opinion, the Wii U is a success in it's own regard. The Wii has never been looked at as competition toward the Playstation or Xbox, even if it sold more. The Wii U is aimed toward Nintendo fans and people who recreationaly play video games. In that regard, the Wii U has accomplished what it sought out to do, please the market.

17. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

I wont say that it is a total failure but it isn't the best selling of the Nintendo consoles. I really think that the WII U struggled because they were too much in a hurry to release the console. The console was released and it barely had any games for anyone to buy and they did not have any games available for the signature titles.

I have heard people say that the console is actually a lot better than people are making it out to be but I just think that the Xbox one and the PS4 are simply dominating the markets right now especially the PS4. More casual gamers the type that played video games on the Wii are just turning to their smartphones to get there entertainment these days.

I hope that with the release of Smash Bros and Zelda that they will be able to make some sort of a comeback because right now it isn't looking really good for them.

18. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

The are going to reveal their next console withing a couple of months which showcase how little faith they have in their own consoles.

19. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

I wouldn't say that the Wii U is a 100% failure, but it is pretty bad. Personally, I really dislike it because it doesn't really seem appealing at all to me. It's basically a Wii and a tablet controller.

By the way, I read an article that said that the Wii U dropped its price by $50! It's not a lot, but it still dropped its price, which is basically showing that the Wii U's sales didn't meet expectations.

20. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

Well, it's been a year since I posted on this thread and I'm changing my mind. The Wii U isn't a next gen console. It's a current generation console that was released when the next gen console came along. And here's the thing, Nintendo is a company that doesn't follow the current of gaming that Sony and Microsoft does. Wii wasn't a next gen console, it was a revolution that sort of pushed motion controls. Their handheld devices like the Gameboy and the Nintendo DS are iconic now, but not like the PSP. So when people are criticizing the Wii U because it's not like the advanced consoles like PS4 and Xbox One, there's a reason. And by the way, the Wii U is gotta a hell lot of new exclusives coming its way like a new Smash Bros. game. Yeah, even Sony and Microsoft fanboys can't deny that.