If You Use a Gaming Steering Wheel . . .

Discussion in 'Sim Racing' started by Denis Hard, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

I'm asking this because I saw this discussions somewhere. Many of the gamers said they have to wear gloves because their palms get sweaty when they are racing. I found that odd because even if I play a racing game for hours my hands never get sweaty.

Just curious, do any of you wear gloves when racing?

2. rajesh1209

rajesh1209 Member

Are you talking about the real world racing? If yes, then you should know that their palms would definitely get sweaty driving a car whereas we can play racing game for hours without sweat and there is no surprise in this fact. Am I right?

3. Potausen

Potausen Member

I found it to be depending on the season. In the summer it's really hot and palm sweating is a big pain, not just for racing games, but for whatever I do. I didn't think about wearing gloves and I probably won't, because I'm used to just dealing with it.

4. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

No, not real world racing . . . Sim-racing.

I've never worn gloves when playing any racing game. Gloves? That's going too far . . .

5. spence88

spence88 Member

Same here, I don't get sweaty when I play with a steering wheel, even if I play for hours - unless, I get nervous. But that only happens when there is something at stake, like in a competition.

6. Susime

Susime Active Member

I've used both a wheel and a controller, mostly controller now, but I've found that I rarely build up a sweat on my hands, with the only exception being if I'm in an intense battle for position.

7. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

I’m happy you mentioned this post about using a steering wheel for a video game. I use to use a steering wheel for a video game, but I realized that it was a waste when I learned how to drive. Real life driving is nothing like a video game. You do not want to try any Fast and the Furious stunts in real life. You should not use a steering wheel for a racing game because it’s not really going to help you drive better. You should just stick to using a joystick.

8. ZXD123

ZXD123 Member

Use I use gloves. You can't grip the steering wheel very well if your hands are sweaty now would you?

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think that's understandable. Some people just sweat more than others and some get sweats in some spots that others don't, and if you always get sweat palms then you'd mostly just end up ruining a very expensive steering wheel. If it were me I'd definitely be up for that too. I'd even wear some sunglasses and a scarf to complete the look lol.

10. raceman998

raceman998 Member

Well, my palms have never got sweaty. Even if I drive for hours, my palms are okay.. I don't understand how their palms got sweaty.

11. spectre456

spectre456 Member

It all depends on the type of climate your area has I would guess. Some people will never sweat regardless of how long they play, and some people sweat very quickly after they start playing. If the gloves make them feel more comfortable I don't see why it would be a problem. It might seem like overkill, but there's a lot of things we can do as gamers in general that seem like overkill to other people.

12. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Some people just have sweaty palms. It's not a problem exclusive to steering wheels, as long as you're gripping anything for a long period of time, be it a gaming controller or even a rolling pin when cooking, some people tend to leave some sweat on the surface.

13. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

I use them for both, game-pad and steering wheel. I use my old baseball batting gloves because they are thin and let air inside and after awhile I don't even know they are there. There is nothing that incites more anger than leading the whole race and then having your fingers slip off the wheel or game-pad because you are sweating. They also offer controllers with tiny fans inside, although I've never ventured much into that.

14. krnd

krnd Member

I had the issue with the steering wheel and sweaty hands, however that goes for nearly every controller out there, it you can grab some gloves with good grip it feels more comfortable as well!

15. spence88

spence88 Member

There are a lot of factors. Heat, tension, etc. I don't get sweaty hands like you do but I do sometimes when the air temperature reaches 27 degree Celsuis or higher. But more often than not, it's in the genes I guess. I know a few people who has sweaty hands most of the time. They get their hands all sweaty in a few minutes of playing.