I suck at Mario Kart

Discussion in 'Mario Kart' started by Ghost Rider, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I know how to drive. I'm not a bad driver by any means (I think). I also play a number of racing games like Gran Turismo and Forza. But I just can't seem to find a way to consistently win at Mario Kart 8. My opponents keep on hitting me with shells and different powerups and items! How am I supposed to avoid all of this mess and stay ahead of the pack?

peelout247 likes this.
  2. teabwoi

teabwoi Member

Thats the fun of it you have to learn how to be able to avoid these obstacles. I love MArio Kart games they are always so much more fun then playing regular games. I would say you have to learn the tracks and the specific characters and how to use your power ups wisely.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'm not very good at this game either. There's something about having to balance the need to get power ups, use them, and race fast enough that I just couldn't get better at. I'm not that terrible at it as I'm sure I could still win a few games here and there, but it's just not the type I'm able to completely excel at.

peelout247 likes this.
  4. Kaseyallan

Kaseyallan New Member

I'd suggest heavy training & many youtube tutorials.

5. burtpovski

burtpovski Member

It's okay, I'm pretty bad at Mario Kart myself. But it's still really fun to play! I really enjoy it. That's all that matters really, right? Have fun with the game!

6. cedrickismw

cedrickismw New Member

I remember when I used to struggle with Mario Kart on the SNES. Then one day I kind of starting imitating the CP players and I somehow got better. Is Mario Kart 8 like the previous one where if you get too far ahead the blue turtle shell hits you?

7. awestruck

awestruck New Member

I like to usually stay behind in the pack until the third lap, then speed up and push through everyone until I get first and keep that position. You should try keeping your power ups, and time the intervals at which you shoot red shells. Use bananas and green shells as shields from red shells, save Bullet Bills until you really need them, and use boom boxes to protect yourself from blue shells.

Ghost Rider likes this.
  8. Askani

Askani Member

You have to learn from your mistakes my brother. Learn what power ups to use immediately and which to hold on to and use at the exact right moment. Most times i keep behind the leader until the last lap then shoot him with a turtle and take the lead. You gotta think ahead bro.

9. joebel

joebel New Member

Agreed. One thing I like to do is try and stay a little behind so I'm not in first (but still in contention towards the end) in order to try and weaken the amount of items I get hit with. Towards the end of the race, that's when I strike and move into first.

10. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Member

Whenever I play Mariokart, I usually play with a couple of friends. I don't think the game would be fun by yourself. If I play with friends it doesn't really matter if you suck or not, just if you have fun or not. Just try to enjoy the game and laugh it off!

11. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

I'm the same way but I find it's fun no matter if you are winning or losing in mario kart.

12. kaineparker

kaineparker Member

Sometimes Mario Kart can be more about knowing the tracks than being a good driver. I know a ton of people that are horrible drivers in real life but can demolish in Mario Kart due to the many hours they spend on it. Just keep playing and you should get better!

13. Naturalbeauty92

Naturalbeauty92 Member

I think a lot of us suck at driving on Mario Kart lol. I like using my brother steering wheel better than the controller. I just love playing it because it brings back childhood memories.

14. spectre456

spectre456 Member

Mario Kart is one of the hardest racing games to be consistent with in my opinion. So much of it depends on luck that it's just better to play and have fun regardles of what place you come in at.

15. Squigly

Squigly Active Member

Eh, the good thing about Mario Kart is that you can suck at it and still win with luck ;)

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I think that's the fun part of Mario Kart 8, you can be the most skilled driver and still lose games, it's a little bit of luck involved in the game as well.

17. peelout247

peelout247 Member

I don't know what is it about karting games in general but no matter how good we get at the game. We have on and off days regardless and that to me makes it worth wild. Just the premise of knowing that a game can never be too easy to the point where it is boring. So hey you're not alone in this aspect!

18. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well if it makes you feel any better, I used to be pretty bad myself and then I just started playing a little more and before you know it I was up there with all the good players. Thankfully it is one of those games that is really not too difficult to understand and get good at, but it still takes a little effort. You just gotta get into it a little bit, and you will get there.

19. dionnextherese

dionnextherese Member

We all have that moment where we really suck at games but with a little bit of practice, I know you'll do better. And of course, don't forget to have fun because it's just a game after all.

20. NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja Member

Practice, practice, and more practice. One tip: If you're in the lead, keep your banana/green shell. Use it when a red shell is lobbed at you, and they will cancel out. Peace!