Here’s Why The New Need For Speed Requires The Internet

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Peter Paltridge, Aug 10, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

Requiring an Internet connection to play a game that comes from a very offline disc is an unpopular decision that alienates a good chunk of paying gamers. You’d think EA would have learned this lesson the first time, but thanks to the big ideas of developer Ghost Games, they’re at it again.

Why do we NEED a mandatory Internet for a racing game when the only use of online is usually for multiplayer? Ghost Games answered that question today. GamesRadar reported that they told XBox Magazine it’s because this reboot of the series will carry some new social media-like features. Your friends will be able to communicate with you, share photos with you and even participate in the single-player storyline with you. The entire game is designed to have all that going on. Hence the always-on requirement.

Ghost Games and EA’s steadfast commitment to keeping the Internet required in Need For Speed should last until around the time when their servers go down and everyone buying the game for the first time can’t turn it on. They’ll go to social media and badmouth the game along with millions of others. EA will have to respond and take back something, though it’s going to be harder than it was with SimCity if the online features are really that integrated.

Enjoy Need for Speed, but don’t enjoy it too much. When you dig it out of the closet in ten years and want to relive the memories, it’ll no longer work.

The post Here’s Why The New Need For Speed Requires The Internet appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

2. troutski

troutski Active Member

While that makes some measure of sense for the developers, it's still stupid, and gamers are going to hate that.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Even though this change makes more sense now I still think a lot of people are going to hate it, especially the ones who were really looking forward to this game. I personally don't have a problem with this.

4. Susime

Susime Active Member

What if you don't want to be linked to other people while playing single-player? What if you just want to play on your own in SINGLE-player mode?

I was really considering getting this because it looks really great, but with this mandatory internet requirement it's put me off a lot. I think I'll pass on this.

5. troutski

troutski Active Member

Then you are **** out of luck. :(

6. BluBird

BluBird Member

Will never understand the requirement to have a constant internet connection in order play a game that has singleplayer in it. And if it's just for social features then they truly dropped the ball.

7. Susime

Susime Active Member

Seems so...

I think they miss-understood the term of single-player. Not everybody wants to play with other people all the time.

troutski likes this.
  8. GenevB

GenevB Member

Well, this decision seems to have deeper implications, they also might want to know everything that you do on or off the game since the marketing nowadays is pretty much based on spying. It has already been proved that XBox one was spying on people with that camera recording even when the console was turned off.

9. troutski

troutski Active Member

You're not wrong. It's pretty annoying that developers make those choices for gamers, when it seems pretty obvious that people want to play SINGLEplayer by THEMSELVES. I don't care about social features in a mode that's supposed to be solo.

10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

Social media is where the major is business is at. If a person can play knowing that there is millions of people playing at the same time, then they will most likely play it as well. Look at Farmville. Every knows what that is, and this company sees the potential of that. Will it be a hit? Time will tell if they can get everyone on board or least have the game sold very cheap or as a download only game. If it is download only, that you need to get a internet connection anyways. It is a gamble, but what isn't now a days?