GTA V or San Andreas?

Discussion in 'Grand Theft Auto' started by GlacialDoom, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

The first time I got to play GTA IV and V I admit I was a bit shocked especially when shooting people. Over time I've gotten a bit more used to it but deep down I think it still gets to me for being a lot more realistic than what I've grown used to with the older versions.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

It definitely is more realistic. Even the blood splatter is more realistic. The older GTAs were a bit more caricature-ish in their character design and the physics on killing people. There were definitely better looking games that GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas (though those are actually great games themselves). Now the graphics are updated, and the deaths are more "gruesome". There is still an element of comedy, though. Comedic effect/relief has also been prevalent in the GTA games. So while the deaths are more serious, there has been a boost on fun and funny moments and activities.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You're right. They are good at keeping things realistic while still having some levity. I somehow favor those old and more caricature like graphics though for some reason. I think the realism has taken away some of the charm but they are smart enough to inject charm somewhere else which is why I think they are still the best at this point because they really have a finger on the pulse of what makes these games work.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I don't think that there's a lack of charm to GTA V because of the more realistic graphics, but I do think that it is an artstyle change. That previous look has been there since GTA III. GTA I, II, and GTA London had a different look. The point of view of the gameplay was overhead as opposed to traditional third-person. Now that I think about it, GTA has gone through quite a few evolutions. What has stayed consistent, though, is how good the games are and how much effort Rockstar puts into them.

5. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

It's mostly just due to my personal preference. I like the sweet spot of cartoonish and realism that the previous generation of GTA had as I am not too fond of extremely cartoonish or extremely realistic games for the most part. But yes you are right it's good that the changes are mostly just in graphics as the gameplay itself still is the same as the older games at least.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Yes, the core gameplay is pretty much there. So long as that doesn't change, the fans will be happy with the GTA series. In any case, GTA may look different, but it still has outrageous characters, and crime is still top priority. They can experiment in other senses, like having a female protagonist or a corrupted cop.

7. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'd actually love to see them change it up by that much. I think if anyone can pull of drastic changes it would be them. I'd love to play a corrupt cop or a female protagonist.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

Definitely, they could. I will give to them that each protagonist so far has been unique. None of them really seems like replicates or half-baked versions of each other. Still, I think a little more change in what kind of person our GTA protagonist is would be welcomed. They were on the right track in GTA IV with having a man who immigrated to America for a better life, though crime misguided his way of life. They could do a lot with the characters that would be an interesting change, so long as they don't mess with the foundation of GTA.

9. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I agree they have done a great job so far. Though I'd like to see them use a character that is less susceptible to turning to crime, like you said maybe a cop could be a good example of this. They were all fairly different but they are also similar in terms of being criminal type people, and I'd like to see more of an arch in the next character and possibly more depth too.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Member

I see. The protagonist would have to relate to crime in some way, however. If they use a female, maybe she could be the wife of a criminal that decides to join in on the crimes at one point. Maybe there could be a teen character that you see grow into an adult criminal. Maybe it could be a normally good or good-hearted person, that commits crimes when they're bored of always being the goody two-shoes. There's a lot that can be done with the future protagonists of GTA.

11. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd like to see them veer off from their formula a little because so far the protagonists have been too similar. I'm not complaining but I think it would be nice to see them make something that has a fresh take, enough that it could feel like a spin off rather than a sequel, so maybe that can be an angle for them.

12. roley

roley Member

Why? to go with older version if the latest version is there and I have completed GTA SA and now when I see that I get bored of playing this and now I wanna cross GTA V too.My total focus is on this.Hoping to finish it by next month.

13. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Member

I would prefer GTA V because you have so much more to do and explore than san andreas

14. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I think there is some nostalgia value to playing older games as I also find myself wanting to play the older versions with lower graphics from time to time. The new games are great but they are too polished and lack a bit of the charm that the old ones do.

15. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I'm a bit biased, since I grew up playing San Andreas. GTA5 has its good qualities, but nothing will ever compare to the insanity that is San Andreas. It had aliens, tanks, jetpacks, hydra jets, hunter choppers, and all sorts of wacky things that make a sandbox game really fun. GTA5 was more on realism, and I can't really blame the developers on that since it's the direction they were going for starting GTA4, but to me the silliness of the missions, weapons, vehicles in San Andreas will always lead to very fun times.

16. Norjak71

Norjak71 Member

Back in the day I used to think San Andreas was the greatest game that existed and could never be beat. I actually played a few months ago on my old slim PS2 console and the controls felt so clunky and hard to use I deemed it unplayable. I think when you play the next-gen titles, it spoils you so much. The bike controls were so hard to use and I felt like my character was stuck in mud the whole time.

17. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

Hard choice. In terms of history San Andreas is way better. In my opinion, the missions were groundbreaking and all very fun. But the gameplay and options to play in V are way better and bigger!

18. Arvis

Arvis Member

I'd certainly choose GTA V. I've played so much of San Andreas, both multiplayer and singleplayer, that I'm sick of it and GTA V offers a nice change.

19. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Member

I much prefer GTA V but I am slightly biased, considering I never really picked up san andreas. I mean I did play it for a couple weeks, but after that I never touched it again.

20. Arvis

Arvis Member

Get it and finish it! It's a great, fun game, a classic!