Good British shows?

Discussion in 'Film and Television' started by Marcus, Oct 12, 2013.

1. TheRev6591

TheRev6591 New Member

I think you are right, and I totally expect the third series to be just as good as the others. It's held in such high esteem that they won't ruin the series. The cliff-hanger in the last series was clearly leading up to something, so the next series looks to have the same writing skill as the last.

2. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Well they have excellent actors who 'get' their characters, writers who 'get' the source material they are adapting from and now a very large and dedicated fan base for both the show and the actors. Having seen the writers' other works, I am very confident they'll pull off a good third season.

The teaser already looks good.

3. bombthecherry

bombthecherry Member

Well the OP was all about comedies, so it's easier to recommend similar stuff than start naming other stuff they may not be interested in. And personally there aren't any British dramas I've really gotten into. I haven't even bothered with Sherlock.

4. a bean

a bean New Member

top gear!

5. a bean

a bean New Member

celtek has presented us with a poser - we do not know why celtek does not like monty python...but we can soon find out...

6. LukeF

LukeF New Member

I was recently flying internationally and was able to watch multiple episodes of "Ripper Street". It was enthralling! Matthew Macfadyen was, as usual, brilliant and brilliantly suited for the role of lead detective. The show is set in London in 1889, 6 months after the famous Jack the Ripper murders. The city is paralysed by the fear of the return of the Ripper. Macfadyen and his supporting cast use their guile and, for the time, new technology to solve murders around the city, and to reassure the public that Jack the Ripper is gone. Or is he...?

7. useruseruser

useruseruser Member

If you like the IT Crowd, you would like The Inbetweeners. It's a modern classic. Its also hysterical. I recommend you check it out.

8. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Member

The quintessential carnut TV show: Top Gear!

Then there's also Wheeler Dealers, a no-nonsense show about fixing up cars. It's incredibly informative as well as entertaining.

9. Dez97

Dez97 Member

Doctor who, skins(every season is recommended) , the In-betweeners.

10. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

There is alot of really brilliant british television but not enough of it gets licensed for a US release sadly. I would suggest getting a netflix subscription because they have alot of stuff on their from the UK.

11. mssfgaming

mssfgaming Member

BBC Sherlock is my favorite British television show. The show is just brimming with wit, excellent performances and wonderful dialouge. Sherlock is played by Benedict Cumberbatch, and he's excellent as Sherlock. He's sarcastic, socially awkward and just an all around perfect Sherlock. An outcast genius. Uh, Watson is played by Martin Freeman, and honestly, he is probably the best actor on the show. He's plays an excellent Watson. You guys may know Martin Freeman by Bilbo in The Hobbit. Check out this show, it's honestly a great damn show.

12. wulfman

wulfman Member

They are called Britcoms right ? LMAO. I would have to say "The Office"
    I wish "Mr Bean" had more episodes.

13. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

Have you watched Being Human the UK version? It's far better than the US version of the show.

14. Dez97

Dez97 Member

This is a little bit up the young Allley but Skins is one of my favorite British shows, and I really enjoy watching it all the time.

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

Mr. Bean is a great show! I remember watching it a lot when I was younger and I was really entertained by it. I didn't really enjoy the movie versions of it though.

16. jurew2

jurew2 Member

You'll have fun watching A Bit of Fry and Laurie if you enjoy british humor. It is a little older show, but they're still fun to watch. The show is made from different sketches and no episode is connected to the previous ones.

17. tpicks

tpicks Member

There is this show I am looking at, Called the Midwife. This is one interesting TV show that so many are fond of too I guess. I think the characters are quite striking and prove more real.

18. kingcool52

kingcool52 Member

Before I read the post I was going to suggest the IT Crowd. It's such a good show isn't it? I only finished it recently. Inbetweeners is another good one if you haven't watched it. Try the American version of the Office as well, personally it's a lot better than the UK version. Try Gavin & Stacey or Father Ted as well ;)

19. tpicks

tpicks Member

I wouldn't be surprised at the comparison you made between the American version and UK. I kind of like American shows. I am not that familiar with IT Crowd, I think it's going to be quite interesting.

20. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

Yes there are quite a few good BBC type of shows out there and one I watched a lot,back in the day was the "The Good Life" and its about a guy that quits his job at 40 and lives the self-sufficiency lifestyle. Another one that I think was the longest running TV show of all time was "Last of the Summer Wine" and is about 3 senior citizens that never grew up (so to speak) in Yorkshire. The last one is Doc Martin that takes place in Cornwall England and is quite good as well with some great scenery and characters.