Good British shows?

Discussion in 'Film and Television' started by Marcus, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Marcus

Marcus Member

What are some really good British Shows? I'm a huge fan of The IT Crowd and I've watched the British version of The Office and I'm interested in checking out other good British shows, do you guys know of any good ones? Oh I've also watched Spaced and I love that show, any others?

2. bombthecherry

bombthecherry Member

Seeing as you're a huge fan of The IT Crowd check out Father Ted and Black Books. Both by Graham Linehan, the same writer.

3. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

As a general recommendation, try Blackadder. It has Rowan Atkinson of Mr. Bean fame in it and it is quite possibly the funniest show I've ever watched. Oh Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are in it too.

bombthecherry likes this.
  4. CelTek

CelTek Member

I never clicked it was the same writer!

I recommend Sherlock. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. There are only 3 episodes a season, but each episode is about 1.5 hours long - more than most feature films! Merlin is another good one. I hear a lot of American folk say they really like Luther, but I've never seen it myself so can't vouch for it personally.

5. bombthecherry

bombthecherry Member

A lot of people don't realise!

6. CelTek

CelTek Member

I can kinda see it now you mention it though. I actually watched Father Ted through just a week or two back, having only ever caught bits of it before. One thing I noticed, is that even though Father Ted is 15 years old, it seems pretty timeless. They would be stuck in that crappy, leaky house, on that Godforsaken island whatever year it was!

bombthecherry likes this.
  7. bombthecherry

bombthecherry Member

Haha, yeah, it definitely holds up after all this time! I still enjoy watching it whenever it's on, and I watched it through a few months ago.

8. Rand paul

Rand paul Member

Only fools and horses, the inbetweeners and fawlty towers.
    There all great. Britan just produces great TV.

9. CelTek

CelTek Member

The only problem with British TV (as a Brit) is that we only do six episodes a season. America does like 24.

I agree with you about your suggestions by the way, I completely forgot about OFAH! I love that show. Not so into Fawlty Towers, but not everything is a winner for everyone. Dare I say it - I'm not actually that keen on Monty Python.

Rand paul likes this.
  10. Rand paul

Rand paul Member

You don't like monty python-sacrilege.

11. CelTek

CelTek Member

Handing in my British passport as we speak :p

To be fair, I don't mind Monty Python, it's just put on on a pedestal by a lot of people. It's alright, but I don't personally feel it deserves the praise heaped upon it.

Rand paul likes this.
  12. AlexTraveller

AlexTraveller Member

How dare you. I'm not even British and I know how un-British that is.

13. Rand paul

Rand paul Member

Only fools and horses though...
    pure comedy gold.
    Del and Rodney- classic

14. CelTek

CelTek Member

Common stereotype though. Blackadder (as mentioned earlier in this thread) is just as British and is fantastic. Monty Python is pretty much slapstick, which isn't my thing.

You plonker!

15. ReinaDIa

ReinaDIa Member

All I've ever invested any time into was Misfits. I stopped watching after everyone decided they didn't want to do the show any more

16. bombthecherry

bombthecherry Member

Only Fools and Horses is another of those that's still funny even all these years on.

I like Monty Python but can't say I think it's as amazing as some people think.

17. Hedonologist

Hedonologist New Member

Only Fools and Horses is the absolute number 1, and one of my favourite 3 shows of all time, but also Peep Show, is another one, although that is mainly aimed at people in their 20's and 30's whereas Only Fools and Horses can be enjoyed by everyone.

18. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

You know, the Monty Python TV show is slightly overrated. I mean bar a few gags (including the 'No one expects the Spanish Inquisition'), a lot of it is just amusing and not great comedy gold.

Holy Grail and Life of Brian though are brilliant, particularly the former which remains my favorite comedy movie of all time.

19. TheRev6591

TheRev6591 New Member

So far every one has mentioned British comedies, but no other types of show. How about some dramas like the BBC series Sherlock or even Luther.

Both are excellently written and are well worth a watch.

20. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Member

Well the more famous British shows are all comedies, except probably Dr. Who. Sherlock obviously is awesome and I am pretty sure if they can keep up the quality in the third season, it'll be spoken about in the same vein as the other classics.