Donkey Kong Racing: The Nintendo Racer That Never Was

Discussion in 'Racing Game Central News' started by Shawn Hopkins, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Here’s a cool retrospective from nintendolife.com of Donkey Kong Racing. This GameCube big brother to the N64 Rare hit Diddy Kong Racing had a lot of unique concepts going for it such as riding and switching animals mid-race, but never made it past the tech demo stage thanks to the unfortunate timing of being in […]

Continue reading...

2. StarFox64

StarFox64 Member

Hmm, not so sure about this one. It seems like they added a bit too much and that's what ended up hurting them in the end. Nonetheless,
    would have wanted to get my hands on it.

3. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I'm honestly not a fan of these cute racers, but I have to admit that the use of animals instead of cars is pretty cool and I would love to have gotten to try this out. It's a shame that some games like this end up not getting released. Hopefully someone out there revives it or something.

4. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I like the name Donkey Kong :D. The concept looks funny though. Switching animals in the middle of a race will be fun :D. I don't think these games will get a revival. Nobody wants to remember their mistakes.

5. Sarz

Sarz New Member

I think its a shame that it never came to pass. Donkey Kong is a classic. I definitely would have had this in the collection. All that effort and hard work for nothing seems a bit of a waste.
    I don't think it was a mistake, more just a case of bad timing.

6. sidd230

sidd230 Member

It was one of several games Rare was working on that got scrapped due to Microsoft buying the company. The last Rare produced Nintendo title was Star Fox Adventures in 2002, Donkey Kong Racing would have followed that.

7. nickjt

nickjt Member

This sounds like it would have been a really interesting game, it has lots of original and unique features so I would love to have tried it. However, I do not think it would have been successful as Mario Kart is just too dominant on the Nintendo has too much control of the market to compete with.