Do you prefer downloading games to your console or getting a hardcopy of games?

Discussion in 'Portable Gaming' started by CeliVega, Mar 3, 2014.

1. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

It's very convenient to get games on your Vita or 3DS these days. You could download a game off PSN or Nintendo eshop without having to get a physical copy of the games. But some people actually prefer a physical copy, they could be collectors, they might be thinking it's better to save spaces for their consoles, or they think that it's easier to trade or sell after they are done with the games.

What about you? Do you prefer a digital copy or a physical copy?

2. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

I prefer just having digital files on my card. It's much easier to change between different games this way instead of having to replace the card or even the UMD if we include the old PSP.

3. msreebaybay

msreebaybay Member

Ever since I tried to get GTA V on my 360 I will always go with hard copies of games from now on. I couldn't believe the fact, that I did not get my game, and I still haven't gotten it because they say something is wrong with my hard drive.

4. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

Ah yes, I got a similar problem not too long ago so I can relate to that. It's nicer with a hard copy because you know it is a guarantee that it will work as long as it's legit. Plus some places offer a replacement if you got a faulty copy. A digital copy, while seems to be convenient, tend to be glitchy at the worst time ever, and then there's the problem with laggy internet connection......

5. StarFox64

StarFox64 Member

I love getting the hard copies. Having something tangible to hold on to is just something that I'll never get over. It's probably why I still prefer an actual book over downloading something off my Kindle.

6. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

I prefer holding and reading a real book too. I know it's convenient with e-book and all, but staring and focusing on the screen for too long is not good for the eyes. But reading a physical book has its weak points too. I have always wanted a "Ctrl + F" button on a book! Wouldn't it saves us a lot of time if there's a ctrl + f function like the PC, where you can enter the keywords and search for the sections that you want instantly?

7. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Member

I preferred getting a hard copy of games before too. But as time passed by, I eventually got tired of collecting DS and DVDs and finding a space to put them in the house. I now prefer downloading games because they're more convenient because I no longer need to go out and it saves space in the house.

8. StarFox64

StarFox64 Member

Ah yes, the CTRL + F is perhaps one of the coolest features on the E-Books. That is the reason I buy a lot of my textbooks for the kindle, really helps with studying! As for the actual book, not so much.

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Member

On my 360 I can't really buy physical games because the disc drive is nearly dead but for everything else I go with discs. Except for on PC, That's almost entirely digital on steam.

10. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

Well on one of my walls I have some shelves with all the games I have owned. I think that answers the question!

It's easier to have it all digital, but I like having a collection to physically look at :)

11. Kandikkal

Kandikkal Member

I prefer digital downloads. It can be a tiresome process on a slow internet connection, but it is more convenient to download from the cloud rather than keeping setup files for all the games that I have.

12. CeliVega

CeliVega Member

Ah yes, I have questions about the digital download. For those with slow or unstable connections, what happened when the connection is cut off during the download process? Do you get to continue from the point where the download was cut off? Or you have to start everything again?

13. StarFox64

StarFox64 Member

From my experience, the download must start over because the file would become corrupted if the internet connection goes out at anytime during a download.

14. ErzaShadowalker

ErzaShadowalker New Member

I rather getting the digital copy of the game. I live in Trinidad and the retail (physical) games are costly, so I rather buy the digital games online, it's much easier and saves me more money. Even though it takes a rather long time to download, it still saves me more time and energy than going to the local retailer.
    In the Nintendo 3DS' eShop you can always download it back to where it had left off if you were disconnected, only if you were to delete the information that had been downloaded on the System's Settings, you would have to start all over again. :)

15. Wubwub

Wubwub Well-Known Member

You brought up a very interesting point @Kandikkal . Fortunately, nowadays internet speeds are much higher in terms of standards, but we do still run into a fair amount of problems, so I agree that it does get a bit inconvenient when that happens whereas if you purchase the disc then that's all you'd have to worry about.

16. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Member

@Do you prefer downloading games to your console or getting a hardcopy of games?
    I most often download my games from torrents.

17. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I think that both of the ways of acquiring the games has some good sides and some bad sides. If you download a game on your computer and you don't own a physical copy of the game, then when you're bored of the game you're going to delete it (or maybe you format your OS so you lose all of your games that were saved on HDD), so when you want to play it again some day you have to download it again and install it again, where the downloading part when owning a physical copy isn't necesary. Owning a phsysical game is better in this way, but when you own a lot of physical games you maybe don't have a place to store them all and they take so much space in your house. Also there is a risk that the CD/DVD will get damaged by something so the game won't run ever again and if you want to play it again some day you have to buy it all over again.

18. rgrimes

rgrimes Member

I honestly prefer both, here are my reasons why.

First of all, the novelty value. Wouldn't you like having a huge collection of games to choose from at any time? You can impress some of your friends, right?

Downloading games are much faster, and easier to manage. I would definitely prefer purchasing and downloading a copy of a game at the comfort of my own home rather than going to a gaming shop around 5 miles away and wasting fuel just to buy a game.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this. Definitely in the future digital downloads are going to overcome hard copy's. Some companies like Steam do this already, everything is bought and stored online digitally!

19. davidj96

davidj96 New Member

I'd rather have a hard copy of games that I buy. Yes, the disks can get dirty and damaged, but you could also end up with a corrupt hard drive. I also prefer having a hard disk copy because I can lend the games to my friends to play on their own consoles. You cannot do that if you only have it saved on your hard drive.

20. Denis Hard

Denis Hard Member

If you're not a game collector, downloading is a lot better. But for someone like me, who lives far in the country, ordering a hard copy game would take quite sometime before it's shipped over and not being that patient, I'd rather instantly download my games.

Downloading is more convenient, imo.